Obama prepares for his career after 2012 - friends in the right places

by just n from bethel 6 Replies latest social current

• just n from bethel
  • HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

From w3schools.com:

OS Platform Statistics

Windows XP is the most popular operating system. The Windows family counts for almost 90%:

2011Win7VistaWin2003WinXPW2000LinuxMac
    January31.1%8.6%1.0%45.3%0.2%5.0%

7.8%

For all the press google and apple gets - all you have with google is web search and ad engine, and from apple some flashy consumer electronics. They are not changing the world nearly as much as the press makes it seem.

Microsoft literally powers America's big business. You can't run your server farm on dopey little iPads, or really even macs (where is Apple's business grade cloud services and database servers?)

If Apple disappeared - we'd lose cover flow. We'd all be using Android phones instead of iphones. Final Cut Pro users would have to switch to Premiere. That's about it. If Google disappeared, we'd have to wait while another search engine caught up, but someone would fill the gap.

If Microsoft disappeared, our country's primary technology provider and maintainer would be lost - businesses worldwide would be devistated.

- Lime

• unshackled
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Android will sharply outgrow iOS in the coming years. The number of Android apps will eventually be greater than iOS apps, as well.

Already, Microsoft and Intel are bit players in the fastest growing computing segment, which is mobile.

It is ARM Holdings that owns that space. More than 95% of the world's phones run on ARM.

Nearly all the tablets, that hot new consumer product category, run on ARM. This is true from the iPad to the Galaxy and almost everything in between.

Additionally, as ARM's designs become more powerful, Intel's near monopoly in the PC and server space will come under increasing pressure.

We will see other OS'es gaining market share on Windows for desktops too. HP has made recent announcements about rolling out WebOS for desktops. Guess what? WebOS currently runs on ARM.

The next version of Windows will support ARM. The last time a major operating system from Microsoft supported an architecture other than x86 was the 1990s. They see the writing on the wall.

Google's Chrome OS also supports ARM.

With ARM, I think we are witnessing something like what happened with WinTel in the 1990s: it pushed all the other architectures out.

BTS

• designs
    designs

ARMH stock seems to be doing pretty well.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

ARM will continue to offer improvements in the mobile/portable market.

But it isn't going to do jack to the desktop market - and will likely only nudge laptops. Mac's just moved to Intel, doesn't seem likely they'll be lining up to re-compile and deploy on yet another chipset.

Businesses are not going to be lining up to break all compatibility and move to a whole new architecture. If I can't run my business apps on my laptop, it's just a fancy media player/toy.

- Lime

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    ARMH stock seems to be doing pretty well.

Don't I know it.

But it isn't going to do jack to the desktop market - and will likely only nudge laptops

Give it a few years. I think there is a good possibility that it will make inroads. Several of the big ARMH analysts, like RBC, think so too.

Businesses are not going to be lining up to break all compatibility and move to a whole new architecture. If I can't run my business apps on my laptop, it's just a fancy media player/toy.

A lot of apps are moving to the cloud, and if the next version of Windows will support it, I suspect at least Microsoft's app stack will also.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit