Natural Selection in Religions

by Victor 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Victor
    Victor

I recently developed an interest in examining the origins of religion. So what I've gathered so far is this.

The human mind needs to create an explanation and meaning. The brain creates problems which leads to brain pain.

The mind creates a god (this ameliorates brain pain)

The tribe creates a mythology of this god that creates the religion

The god that now directs the tribe takes out the brain pain of uncertainty and decision making

This mental god is given a moral code of laws to be followed music and rituals evolve that creates a mystical experience.

Guilt becomes the currency of enforcement of the religion

The religion takes on the social control of population, food supplies, behaviors, etc.

This belief in this particular god is a form of insurance for survival

The religion

All other gods of other tribes are the false gods and the tribe's god is reason to commit genocide of other tribes

As the tribe grows and becomes more complex in it's governance hierarchies have to be created. The top monarch places himself at the top of the religion.

The leader uses this evolved religion to control the nation that is evolving

The hierarchy of priests now being to control and monopolize the trance states the individuals used to have in their own direct connection to god.

The priests now become the direct intercessors for the people to their god

The priests now take on the control on authority of the god/church to attack any person or groups that threaten their position

The politicos now become advocates to crusaders for the religion.

You can not update religion because you undo the whole DNA of power and society

Religion was imported to the U.S. by groups fleeing the persecution of the then monopolistic religions.

These evangelicals all shared the end times theology

Many of these groups became secularized and the fervor of their theology became more moderate

Modern Christianity in American had its start right after the passage of the new deal.

Corporate America saw it as a threat to their profits and power so they funded and seeded ministers of anti government self determination propaganda.

This gave rise to the political power to elect Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, and Bushes.

The moral majority thought it had struck gold with Reagan except Reagan only used the moral majority for his political advantage. In the end Jerry Falwell stopped his political crusade feeling used.

Today we find ourselves with hybrid groups and primitive ideologies all fighting for power, money, and control.

Basically tribes on steroids. That's my take on history of religion.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Victor

Religions like the Jehovah's Witnesses were started by opportunistic men seeking their own power, control and money and they did so by propagating fear, ignorance and alluring tactics of coercion.

• hoser
    hoser
    Your theory has merit
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

That list gave me brain pain.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Yep. Spot on.

I've been thinking along these lines myself.

P.S.

Victor: this is your young buddy from way back when. Haven't had a chance to find that picture I was telling you about yet. Thanks for being there a few months ago when I was new to TTATT, e-mailed you and reached out. It really did help. The therapy has worked wonders, allowed me to open up to my wife and accept the consequences, whatever they would be. It turned out for the best, fortunately. Tested the waters a little with Dad. He'll never let go of it, even if he does see some of the problems. Dismisses it as imperfection. I just wanna shake him and say, "DON'T YOU SEE YOU'RE BEING DUPED?" I just don't think he can face the fact that he's wasted so much time and energy on this BS religion.

Thanks again for being there!

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

There's a lot of financial security in joining moribund cults, just look at Father Divine. They don't have enough followers to take care of their real estate. I hope that's where the JWs are in 100 years.

Find a celibacy cult with lots of real estate and no chance of mass suicide. There are the Shakers, the House of David in Benton Harbor Michigan, can anyone name any others?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Brain pain". I like that phrase, it's catchy.

It must have happened at some time in our evolutionary development that our increased capacity to think left an uncomfortable void in our minds as respect to the outward world.

I disagree with certain points like,

"All other gods of other tribes are the false gods and the tribe's god is reason to commit genocide of other tribes"

First, there were many religions in the past that accepted the idea of multiple gods even those of their enemies. Whenever there was a war the strongest god - hopefully theirs - would defeat the other nation's god.

As for genocide, that was bound to occur regardless of religion or lack of religion. It's based on a totally different set of behavior. Any commands for genocide that "the god" gave were just projections of the human imagination which seeks to justify non religious behavior by creating divine decrees.

• Victor
    Victor

@ Cappytan, I'm glad that seeking professional helped you to deal with your dilemma. Your dad may never be open to consider opposing information to his beliefs. This would create too much mental pain leading to cognitive dissonance.

@ Village Idiot these are broad generalizations that will have exceptions. My point is simply this. War and genocide is justified by the religious leaders as a directive from God.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger
    Fear of DEATH...source of religion. Period
  • Victor
    Victor
    @ Hairtrigger fear of death = mental pain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit