The Science Is In: God Is The Answer...

by OUTLAW 74 Replies latest social current

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Aw, Zorro's minions are just adorable - look at em worshipping their little asses off.😄
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I know some kids that religion didn't do so well for them .

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

If growing up as a Witness is so brilliant then why are so many Witnesses I know on anti-depressants?

I've no idea if the proportions are better or worse than the rest of society but surely if they are all living in a spiritual paradise then the incidents of depression should be far less.

It's a bit like the fallacy that marriages are better "in the truth". They are not. There are loads of people in unhappy marriages, getting divorced, separating and all the rest of it.

For every kid raised as a Witness that buys into the whole thing and grows up a little spiritual jelly mould of their kick ass uber-dub parents, there is another who is simply buying time until they drop out and yet another who is being bullied, treated as social outcast and having a miserable childhood.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

For religion to be as successful as it is in our society there must be some benefits, otherwise it would die out; IMHO religion would die out if it was purely driven by fear.

It is an interesting study - although I would be worried the first study is suffering by a bit of confirmation bias...Lisa Miller seems to be part of the "SCP" which ...

Spirituality in Clinical Practice (SCP), a journal of the American Psychological Association, is a practice-oriented journal that encompasses spiritually-oriented psychotherapy and spirituality-sensitive cultural approaches to treatment and wellness. SCP is dedicated to integrating psychospiritual and other spiritually-oriented interventions involved in psychotherapy, consultation, coaching, health, and wellness.

It would be interesting to see if other unidentified factors were at play in the Miller study. Perhaps if the questions from the original study were followed up by "I have a healthy relationship with my parents... and I would turn to them when I need help"- I wonder if the responses to that question would yield similar results when related to depression?

Also, it would be interesting to follow up the outliers in the study... do fanatical religious groups have negative effects when compared to the study? Does the 'zeal' of one's spirituality (if that can be measured) have an effect? etc... The Dew study was interesting in this front.

Are there links between socio-economic factors and religion? That too would be interesting.

Why do I not 'sign up'? Well I realise that my two kiddies need something in their life to help them through the hard times... the something is our family, their education, their interests and hobbies which I support fully. I do not think religion would add anything. In fact if my experience is anything to go by, it would only detract.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I know some kids that religion didn't do so well for them ......Finklestein

For every kid raised as a Witness that buys into the whole thing and grows up a little spiritual jelly mould of their kick ass uber-dub parents, there is another who is simply buying time until they drop out and yet another who is being bullied, treated as social outcast and having a miserable childhood.....konceptual99

Why do I not 'sign up'? Well I realise that my two kiddies need something in their life to help them through the hard times... the something is our family, their education, their interests and hobbies which I support fully. I do not think religion would add anything. In fact if my experience is anything to go by, it would only detract......M*A*S*H

One thing is for sure..

That article doesn`t represent the life or experiences of a JW Kid..

...Image result for watchtower brown logoImage result for horror story logo

..........Image result for unhappy childhood..Image result for Jehovahs witness choldren

...........Image result for watchtower armageddon...Image result for Jehovah's witness children baptism

..........Image result for Jehovahs witness children.Image result for Jehovahs witness children pedophilia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit