The Science Is In: God Is The Answer...

by OUTLAW 74 Replies latest social current

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Outlaw - You are embarrassing yourself. Please stick to the topic. It has potential to be an interesting discussion if you can behave.....cofty

Your not going to hijack this thread..

Your not going to order people about on my thread in your usual condescending manner..

The subject has potential regardless of what you think of my behavior.....That`s why I posted it..

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I disagree that they aren't all dangerous - what about middle-of-the-road C of E? They haven't burnt anyone at the stake for centuries, if they ever did. They generally tolerate others' religions, others' piss-taking. Some splinter groups allow gay couples, gay priests.

I feel it's a shame when atheists overplay their hand.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was born and raised in a religious environment. I went to religious services several times a week and was forced to knock on doors to proclaim my religious believes to strangers. I was also unhappy, unsure of myself and my abilities, and scared that I would suffer a horrific death at the pending event of the great tribulation.

So forgive me if I disagree with the article......NewYork44M

I think a lot of us "Born In`s" feel the same way..

• cofty
    cofty
    Your not going to hijack this thread.. - OUTLAW

Far from hijacking it, I have made more contributions to the topic of this thread than anybody else so far. You are the one behaving like a troll on your own thread.

Now stop ranting and say something on-topic. Have you even read your own OP?

Do you think children are better-off being raised to believe in a supernatural deity? If so why?

• cofty
    cofty
    I feel it's a shame when atheists overplay their hand.

I agree.

I think children should not be raised to value faith. We should teach them to question everything and demand evidence. Teach them how to think not what to think.

Having said that, middle-of-the-road Anglicanism, Universalism etc do not pose a serious threat to society.

• finally awake
    finally awake
    it's sort of a no-brainer - kids who self-identify with a group who are generally seen in a positive light are going to feel better about themselves. a kid who feels like he fits in with the group of his choice is going to feel better about himself. a kid who feels good about herself and her social group is not going to seek out friendships with unhappy, self destructive kids. sad, miserable kids who don't fit in, who don't have a positive social group, who don't have a supportive family are at high risk of major depression, substance abuse, etc etc. It's kind of a giant DUH!! and religion/spirituality is just one type of social group. I suspect that if the effort was made to find kids who were non-spiritual throughout childhood, but had some other social group that they belonged to that enjoyed the same level of generally positive perception from the community at large, you would see the same mental health and behavior benefits.
  • yodastar
    yodastar

Wow crazy thread! So strongly disagree with the argument that religious upbringing promotes healthy teens.

Seriously. I would love to see the statistics of these people in their late 20's. I have meet plenty of people not dub-dumbed or any other cultish upbringing and they have their own conscience free from guilt and fear and judgement.

If a child is bought up with love and self awareness and the ability to question situations ( not just blankly accept rules ) then, on the whole their set for life.

At least this sort of rubbish promotes discussion but that's about it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think children should not be raised to value faith - the big problem here, of course, is children having their parents' religion forced on them. What can be done? Perhaps government should look into this - make under 18s or under 16s joining a religion illegal. If we have an age of sexual consent, why can't we have an age for religious consent?

We should teach them to question everything and demand evidence. Teach them how to think not what to think - agreed. Not just university but parents have a responsibility in this regard.

• cofty
    cofty
    I suspect that if the effort was made to find kids who were non-spiritual throughout childhood, but had some other social group that they belonged to that enjoyed the same level of generally positive perception from the community at large, you would see the same mental health and behavior benefits. - finally awake

^^^This ^^^^

In evidence I offer the vast majority of kids in Western Europe and Scandanvia in particular.

I have been coaching football for the past 20 years. Giving children self-respect and a sense of belonging is part of what I do. I don't have to lie about supernatural sky-daddys to achieve those goals.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

why can't we have an age for religious consent?....LoveUniHateExams

That`s actually a pretty good idea..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit