The Science Is In: God Is The Answer...

by OUTLAW 74 Replies latest social current

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

On the other hand..

"When Bengston noticed the growth of nonreligious Americans becoming increasingly pronounced, he decided in 2013 to add secular families to his study in an attempt to understand how family life and intergenerational influences play out among the religionless.

He was surprised by what he found: High levels of family solidarity and emotional closeness between parents and nonreligious youth, and strong ethical standards and moral values that had been clearly articulated as they were imparted to the next generation.

“Many nonreligious parents were more coherent and passionate about their ethical principles than some of the ‘religious' parents in our study,” Bengston told me. “The vast majority appeared to live goal-filled lives characterized by moral direction and sense of life having a purpose."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0115-zuckerman-secular-parenting-20150115-story.html#page=1

"According to multiple reports, research has shown that secular upbringings may be healthier for children, who, according to a 2010 Duke University study, display less susceptibility to racism and peer pressure, and are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.”

"Far from being dysfunctional, nihilistic and rudderless without the security and rectitude of religion,” writes Zuckerman, “secular households provide a sound and solid foundation for children, according to Vern Bengston, a USC professor of gerontology and sociology.”

Bengston oversees an ongoing study called the Longitudinal Study of Generations, the largest study of families and their religious affiliations in America.

After noticing an uptick in nonreligious households, Bengston added secularism to his study in 2013. “Many nonreligious parents were more coherent and passionate about their ethical principles than some of the ‘religious’ parents in our study,” said Bengston in an interview with Zuckerman. “The vast majority appeared to live goal-filled lives characterized by moral direction and sense of life having a purpose.”

http://www.bustle.com/articles/62411-raising-children-without-religion-may-be-a-better-alternative-suggests-new-research

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Outlaw - So you post an epic copy-paste from an unknown source. Ignore 3 requests for a link. Then you refuse the request and tell the person asking for a link to search for it for themselves and then insult them when you finally realise you are embarassing yourself.

You have been behaving quite well for the past few weeks, I knew it was too good to last.

Seriously..Are you that friggin stupid?..

It`s not an unknown source..

Multiple people were able to find links to it,based on the info in the original OP..

You have been behaving quite well for the past few weeks, I knew it was too good to last.

I`m one of the few here who won`t put up with your endless bullshit..

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I disagree that they aren't all dangerous.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/03/21/new-orleans-airport-attack-scene/25136201/

The KKK was partly Christian in origin and had some goals regarding Christianity:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Also on the above link are other examples of Christian extremism.

Have you read about these wars?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

You give me enough time and I'll find a huge list of proof that ANY theism is dangerous. If a person does cocain, gets drunk, or par takes in some other chemical dependency; what are the chances that the dependancy might make them harm innocents? The chances exist, but if they do it's likely to be one target in particular for a personal reason.

Now imagine that chemical dependancy is in the form of a delusional egotist who could at any time just get the whim that all of one particular group or all of one certain people should die because it's what God wants. All the millions, all the billions, all the hundreds of thousands who are dependent as as a drug addict to this persons whims will do exactly as they are told in the name of God.

History attests to this Uni. ISIS attests to it right now. These people who blindly follow a book, or a man could randomly just decide God wants them to do something insane. It's far more likely than that drunk ever doing anything to anyone else.

• cofty
    cofty

Very good rebuttal DOT.

Take Islam as an example.

The OP has a photograph of a Muslim girl with the caption about decresed risk of depression.

Muslims - and evangelical christians - are raised with the constant threat of judgement and hellfire. As long as they stay with their parent's set of superstitions they know they can escape eternal torture.

This is child-abuse. It is not the recipe for well-adjusted, open-minded adults.

• cofty
    cofty
    Outlaw - Stay on topic and stop with the personal attacks.
  • cofty
    cofty

Jonathan - I have contempt faith but I also think it is a mistake to view all religious belief as equally dangerous. As Sam Harris has pointed out nobody goes to bed worrying about Jainist suicide bombers.

There are millions of christians who don't cause me any concern. I wish their children would grow up to be less superstitious than their parents but they are not a serious problem.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Stay on topic and stop with the personal attacks....cofty

Piss Off it`s my thread..You don`t give orders on my thread..

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    coftya minute ago

Jonathan - I have contempt faith but I also think it is a mistake to view all religious belief as equally dangerous. As Sam Harris has pointed out nobody goes to bed worrying about Jainist suicide bombers.

There are millions of christians who don't cause me any concern. I wish their children would grow up to be less superstitious than their parents but they are not a serious problem.

I will fairly concede that I'm likely still projecting my anger on religion as a whole. because honestly I am.

• cofty
    cofty
    Piss Off it`s my thread..You don`t give orders on my thread.. - OUTLAW

Outlaw - You are embarrassing yourself. Please stick to the topic. It has potential to be an interesting discussion if you can behave.

What are your thoughts on the main points of the OP?

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm likely still projecting my anger on religion as a whole

I can understand that.

I have plenty friends who believe all sorts of daft things. If they post horoscopes on FaceBook I kick their butt off my timeline but they are still my mates. One of my best friends posted a load of 9/11 conspiracy BS recently!

Humans are only partially rational beings. We all are. I think we have to distinguish between dangerous BS, annoying BS and funny BS.

In other words we need to choose our battles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit