Braindead Journalists!

by Kent 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

Unfortunately, journalists are quite often braindead, and prints what they are told without checking the facts. Here is an exaple of a guy who should be fired for being absolutely hopeless!

Jehovah's Witnesses: Victory for Human Rights in Eastern Europe; Christian Religion Sets Legal Precedent in Bulgaria.

Issue: Oct 9, 1998

NEW YORK, Oct. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- After years of arrests, beatings, and loss of property, Jehovah's Witnesses have regained legal recognition in Bulgaria. They are the first religion in the country to successfully appeal to an international body in order to regain legal recognition. Dozens of religions were banned in 1994.

This legal recognition, which was received Wednesday, October 7, 1998, represents an important victory for religious freedom in the country and throughout Eastern Europe, said Lubomir Kutchoukov, spokesperson for Jehovah's Witnesses in Bulgaria. "We are grateful that appeals to international standards of human rights have led to this reasonable and peaceful conclusion," he said. "All people of Bulgaria will benefit from this victory."

This important legal victory came after intervention from the European Commission of Human Rights of the Council of Europe. In July 1997, the Commission suggested that the government of Bulgaria enter into a friendly settlement with Jehovah's Witnesses. On March 8, 1998, the Commission accepted the terms of the settlement, which included the government's promise to grant legal recognition to Jehovah's Witnesses. As part of the settlement, Bulgaria also agreed to create a bill that will allow alternative civilian service for conscientious objectors. The terms of the agreement involved no change in the doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Jehovah's Witnesses were first legally recognized in Bulgaria on July 17, 1991, shortly after the fall of communism. However, despite democratic changes in Bulgaria, restrictions on religion continued. Beginning in 1993, public defamation against "non-traditional" churches began, resulting in many human rights violations. In 1994, some 39 religions lost their legal status after the passage of a restrictive law on religion. Jehovah's Witnesses were subjected to a rash of police raids, beatings and arrests.

At the same time, "there has not been a single member of a 'sect' (judicially) charged for committing a crime motivated by religious convictions," stated a 1996 report by the Bulgarian Helsinki Commission and Human Rights Without Frontiers.

Jehovah's Witnesses have been present in Bulgaria since the first decades of this century. They have nearly six million members worldwide, and more than 13 million have attended their religious services. They are officially recognized in more than 150 countries.

Information on the Bulgaria registration can be found at http://www.lbtech.con/bulgaria. For more information on Jehovah's Witnesses, visit http://www.watchtower.org.

COPYRIGHT 1998 PR Newswire Association, Inc.

COPYRIGHT 2000 Gale Group
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess everyone know the facts. The JWs guaranteed Bulgarian JWs could accept blood-transfusions without any consequences for themselves! I have lots on material on this case on The Watchtower Observer

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Kent
    Kent
    Costs incurred by one severely ill Jehovah's Witness could run one unit in Africa for one year.

Author/s: Nicholas Wooding
    Issue: March 27, 1999

EDITOR--Minerva reports that a Jehovah's Witness survived emergency surgery for a. leaking abdominal aneurysm despite having a postoperative haemoglobin concentration of only 30 g/l; he spent 14 weeks in hospital.[1] Those of us who work in rural Africa can only wonder how much it cost in the face of claims of rationing and cost cutting in the NHS. Such a stay must easily have cost a six figure sum.

Here in Uganda for 250 000 [pounds sterling] a year we can treat 25 000 outpatients and 7000 inpatients, conduct over 1000 deliveries, and perform 1500 operations. We run a community health programme for 500 000 people. The costs incurred by this one patient might run our unit for a whole year. Will the time come when a religious group will be charged the costs of keeping its members alive? Ethically one may feel that one should do everything, whatever the cost; at the end of the financial year, however, elective surgery that could be life improving has to be cancelled.

The choice is easy here in Uganda. When a child who has severe anaemia from malaria with hookworm infestation and undernutrition comes in the choice is simple: he or she has a transfusion or dies.

Nicholas Wooding Medical superintendent Kiwoko Hospital, PO Box 149, Luweero, Uganda

[1] Minerva. BMJ 1998;317:690. (5 September.)

COPYRIGHT 1999 British Medical Association

COPYRIGHT 2000 Gale Group
    --------------------------

. http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0999/7187_318/54432438/p1/article.jhtml?term=jehovah

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• sf
    sf

"Jehovah's Witnesses were first legally recognized in Bulgaria on July 17, 1991, shortly after the fall of communism. However, despite democratic changes in Bulgaria, restrictions on religion continued."

Interesting date and series of events here.

sKally, on the Road again, klass

If man was supposedly created in gods image, then.....holy krap...we're all doomed.-sKallyWagger

• lydia
    lydia

Just another thing that costs the members of the country more..wonder how the "loving congregations" would feel knowing that they are causing many who need to have surgery to be passed over so they can champion their cause??

I guess it just infuriates me to know that because of the blood issue - my daughter went through a week of tests to determine what was wrong with her - and they overlooked the real cause due to the bloodissue!!! She was transfused 1 unit - a fact tha a Dr. in another hospital stated was unnessisary if they would have realised she had E. Coli to begin with..
    She almost died..all due to the Blood issue...
    Yet they allow certain parts of the blood to be given - as antibodies and such...
    i don't remember the verse in the bible saying you could take it apart..hummm......

Sorry - this upset me and I had to vent..
    Lydia

• Moxy
    Moxy

wow, journalists printing stupid stuff without checking the facts? god, what a moron.

• sf
    sf

{{{{Lydia}}}}}

It's my opinion no sorry is needed in unpredictable "vomitting" of "toxic waste". That's what soap and water are for.

Thank you for "sharing".

Sincerely, sKally

If man was supposedly created in gods image, then.....holy krap...we're all doomed.-sKallyWagger

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

It was my experience that the WT often provided a pre-written press release, and the press just used it because it saved them the time to write it.

About Journalist: Yep, as a pro writer myself, dem types don't have a lot of braids. Journal stuff is often a craft, rather than a professional writing advent. The pro's uaualy do the magzine stuff, wiht better information and thangs. many yall rite better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit