1973 oil embargo

by d 3 Replies latest jw friends

• d
    d

Hi I was wondering, What was it like living during the 1973 oil embargo?I need some links to some websites for a paper that I am doing.Some experiences during the embargo are welcome.Please do tell thanks

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Here in California they instituted an odd or even approach to getting gas. Those whose car lisence plate ended in an odd number could get gas one day and the even ones on the next. Despite that arrangement there were actual fights over who got he pump. It wasn't strictly enforced but the people in their cars were adamant about who got the gas. It was worse than what we've had in recent years because of availability rather than price though that went very high for the time. Good luck with the paper.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I wasn't driving at the time but I remember the odd/even car's license plate arrangement also.

The only thing that stood out in my mind-and I don't remember if it was actually in 1973 or years after-was seeing a cartoon with an American Marine pointing a rifle at a prostate Arab and yelling, "How much does the oil cost now!"

Villabolo

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember this event. Suddenly, you saw gas prices leaving their home in the 30s for good, as pump prices climbed above 40 cents a gallon. Of course, I was not driving at the time. But, I was able to hear about the rationing system--they were preparing to use rationing coupons, but the embargo was lifted before it came to that. I do, however, remember the 55 MPH speed limit being imposed (which was a joke, since most gas is used in city driving).

That wasn't all I remember. First, they turned the clocks ahead on January 6 instead of late April. School was pushed back into the dark, so they imposed a 1/2 hour delay so we wouldn't have to wait in the dark. (High school was more impacted, but that led to a delay as buses needed to complete those runs and needed the extra time for elementary school runs.) I also remember the push to lower your heat to 68 o (blowing the myth that you can catch cold if you are at under 70 o without a jacket). They also started hounding people to turn off the lights when leaving the room, and there was all kinds of talk about car pooling.

Though the embargo was lifted in the spring of 1974, it created a nice recession. People were left unemployed. Beyond that, there were copycat shortages of other goods that resulted in inflation. This continued into 1975, and I remember inflation persisting into 1982 (along with another energy crisis starting early in 1979, leading to dollar a gallon gas). And, never again (glitches and pump errors aside) do you find gas prices in the 30s again--that is, unless you are pricing it in gold and silver. (If you use silver to buy gas, your equivalent price is under 15 cents per gallon even to this very day.)

I suggest doing more research on the subject, because Osama Obama is doing all he can to ensure an even worse energy crisis, just as hyperinflation from the Fed reaches your grocery shelves. The EPA is ready to impose strict carbon emission caps on power plants in July of this year, and on refineries in December 2011 (along with worse ones for electricity in May 2012 and refineries in November 2012). And Osama Obama has just about shut down oil and natural gas exploration and new drilling here, ensuring that another embargo would cripple the country. And, "green energy" depends on silver for solar and rare earth metals for wind--rare earths come from China, which may well create its own embargo. We are at the beginning of a massive silver shortage, limiting solar use (and I suggest searching "$500 silver" and "US hyperinflation").

And yes, I expect the shortages, the DEPRESSION, and the consequences to worsen this time. Unlike 1973, this time it's our own "president(??)" and not the Arabs creating the shortages. And, it could well lead to "One World Government"--I suggest researching this term as well as "Agenda 21" thoroughly. Somehow, I believe they are going to implement Agenda 21, or a deluxe version of it, or kill this country trying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit