JWs and Counseling/Psychologists/Therapists

by Had To Go 22 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Brother Dan - I know you have kids...how do you do it?

One day at a time. I don't use my wife as a scape goat. We have to show a united front, even though we believe different things. So I don't contradict her directly. I focus on helping them to think things through on their own. Of course they are young, so it's been easy so far. But I focus on trying to help them to see that we should love all people. I also focus on teaching them things from the Bible that we BOTH agree on. Of course, my focus is more on Jesus than my wife. But so far I don't think they see any difference between me and their mom.

When I was first going through this whole thing, there was some GREAT advice on this site. You have to take it slow. JWs don't come out quickly (usually). It's a long process. You have to take your time, show a TON of patience, and show a TON of love.

• Had To Go
    Had To Go
    My point is that sometimes patience and subtlety will have a better result than in-your-face opposition to the JW belief system. If you can instill values of love and kindness in your children without tying their behaviour to "making Jehovah happy", your husband will be able to see that it is possible to raise a family with solid values without the JWs' influence.

Thanks for the great advice, Scully. I really do appreciate it.

• Had To Go
    Had To Go

Bro Dan - You said:

We have to show a united front, even though we believe different things.

Great advice! I also need to keep this in my mind AT ALL TIMES:

You have to take your time, show a TON of patience, and show a TON of love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit