Armageddon, god's bad idea

by Giordano 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

Since I am free to speculate, something witnesses have been discouraged from doing, I decided to try to determine if the Society and the JW's understand what Armageddon will involve if it really was to happen. Of course keep in mind that Jesus never mentioned it..........sooo.

Let's start with a comparison of the WTBTS approach to Armageddon and the bibles account of the Flood, ........ the first time God decided to destroy the world, or at least the first time we know about, and compare what Noah and his family did to get ready and what the society is telling their rank and file.

The account of Noah and the Flood is filled with practical information on how to survive a really big inconvenience. Preparation was the key for survival. Noah was told to build a boat..... To an exact size and construction. Sufficient food and water needed to be on hand for people and animals and there had to be a plan to handle the waste...... a lot of waste. I also imagine that they packed practical tools and useful items like cooking utensils, plants and seeds. When the flood came they were prepared. Ok I don't think that the Flood actually happened but there's a good lesson in the account. Think like A Boy Scout......be prepared.

Now contrast that with WT teaching about Armageddon and the survival of the JW's. Reviewing the literature I note that they are big on the wide scale destruction that Armageddon will bring (practically smacking their lips) but weak on preparation for said event. Of course the GB is in good shape, Bethel, plenty of food, tunnels, and the servant class formally called Bethelites caring for their every need. But for the rank and file here's their advice: run like bunnies to the nearest quick built Kingdom Hall and hunker down. As far as I can tell the only food they might have on hand will be the songbooks. And of course theocratic food will be served. I don't suppose there are bunkers under the KH loaded with food and water? Probably not.

Do witnesses feel that Armageddon will be over quickly? That ties in with get to the Hall and wait it out. Sort of putting Armageddon on the same plain as a hurricane. It should be noted that the Flood started with a 40 day, 40 night rain and then it took a year before they could get out of the ark. Could Armageddon last as long? That one is tough to speculate about. The problem I see is that the bible projects a first century fight (angles with swords) against a 21 century world which if pushed into it can take things one step further then god is planning to.

Let's review the task at hand: Train angels for warfare, sharpen swords, attack and defeat the devil's army of fallen angles (who just so happens are battle hardened veterans having been involved in hundreds of earthly wars)......bag Satan, Kill 7 plus billion people but leave a few people alive to clean up (angles don't do clean up).

Side thought: are angles going to be up for this fight? God could have used them to destroy Noah's world, did he review the troops and the opposition then said lets just do it the easy way we'll drown everyone? Has armageddon been delayed because heavenly angels are really out of shape and the drilling hasn't gone well?

Back in the day when Armageddon was first proposed it probably sounded like a....... slam dunk. Now what sounded like a plan 2000 years ago may no longer be such a great idea. A lot has changed. There's a world today that John the Revelator couldn't have imagined. We have the Chinese, the British, Germans, Russians, Israeli's (mean ones) plus a lot of really cranky Muslims armed to the teeth and of course the USA which doesn't take lightly to anyone invading their country. Remember we pioneered separation of church and state! Angles with swords, not in these United States! 'NUTS' is what our generals will say as they start pressing buttons. All in all there's going to be a lot of very well armed and ticked off people with very nasty weapons of mass destruction. Even Hindus' have Nukes....do I need to say more!

Maybe sword carrying angels were impressive in bygone years but against drones, heat seeking missiles.....I don't know. Add in the natural disasters that the WT delights in suggesting (big fissures swallowing whole family's who missed out for want of a watchtower), fire balls from the heavens ....primitive but probably effective enough, and the destruction will be total. Do you win a war if nothing is left anywhere? Lets face it Armageddon is not the best idea god has come up with.

So if the JW's survive, they will inherit a filthy dirty world unfit for a resurrected humanity. Cinders and ash and radiation. That begs the question why DID the JW's survive. Well someone has to clean up? Clean? Hold on maybe there was a divine purpose in having so many JW's work in the janitorial services after all! Brilliant.

The 1,000 year reign...............err something else just occurred to me how long does it take for radiation to go away ....at least a 1000 years? Who's supposed to be cleaning up radiation................gulp.

Well I'm done speculating but given a choice I've decided that I would rather have been on the Ark shoveling manure.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Very entertaining! But I don't think God or Angels are too concerned about being harmed by radiation and I'm sure God could easily control nuclear power!

Interesting scenario! But if Armageddon as JWs teach were to really occur humans and their weapons (and demons) would be no match for the power of God Almighty!

• The Finger
    The Finger

20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. [b] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 (NIV)

As the means of saving is different. Maybe the destruction is as well.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

and where to put all the killed angels and demons? or what if satan - given he's got control over 2/3 of all angels - actually captures jesus and kills jehovah? it's some risky business to plan an armageddon... but jehovah's probably just barking, not biting.

• Giordano
    Giordano

J. Hofer don't they dematerialize when killed? Whoa capturing Jesus! Hofer.......now that's some cool speculating. You can't kill god everyone knows that.

I hope that the JW's will at least have hazmat suits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit