Christian Fundies KILL their son

by wobble 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wobble
    wobble

Herbert and Catherine Schaibel of the First Century Gospel Church in Philadelphia were convicted in December of involuntary manslaughter of their son, Kent, who had a lung infection and they tried to pray the problem away as their church sees the use of meds. as a lack of faith in God and therefore a sin. The poor lad died.

I found this comment on the case , as reported in the Guardian (U.K) newspaper Thurs 3rd Feb. pg 25:

" Prosecutors argued adults can choose to forgo medical care for themselves,but not for their children."

Thoughts ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Religion is a snare and a racket! It isn't just the JDubs who are under delusions of 'miracles and blessings'.

This is really a very saddening case!

• garyneal
    garyneal

They sound like Christian Scientists.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

wobble

How tragic for the son, Kent! I have not read or heard anything about this sad tale previously.

I don't believe that it is good medical practice to force adult people to have medical treatment against their will, or beliefs, but was the couple's son old enough to have the right to be heard and have a say as to what treatment (if any) he was prepared to accept?

Sounds very cult-like, to me.

lifelong humanist

• boyzone
    boyzone

Replace the meds in this story with a blood transfusion and you have a death of another JW child. Very sad

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Good grief! Do these idiots treat a laceration or just bleed to death?

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for your comments thus far, what about the not being able to forgo treatment by the parents for the child,as the prosecutors argued, what is the law in the U.S ?

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Christian Scientist? Now there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one. There's bugger all science involved here, and I can hardly think it's a very Christian thing to do either. Maybe it's not so much oxy and more MORON.

• RespectOneAnother
    RespectOneAnother

The death of any child is a tragedy, whether under medical or metaphysical care. No caring parent would ever hesitate from alleviating one instance of suffering from his or her child. While I am not familiar with the tragedy the Schaibel’s experienced, there is nothing to suggest they had anything to do with Christian Science. For more than 130 years, Christian Science has been a recognized way of bringing healing for all kinds of issues, including diagnosed diseases deemed incurable. Also, there is NO church doctrine forbidding medical treatment. All healthcare decisions are individual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit