It's amazing how perceptions change over time...

by MrFreeze 5 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

A few months ago, there was one day of the week I hated above all else. You probably know which I'm talking about... the day of the TMS and SM. I don't know which day you had yours on, but mine was always on Thursday. I used to loathe Thursday. I'd get up in the morning always in a bad mood. For some reason, I would ALWAYS have a headache on Thursday. It never failed. The looming threat of the meeting that night, always stressed me to my very core.

In just a few months, I love Thursday! I actually like Thursday more than any other weekday now. Because every time I come home from work on Thursday, I get the satisfaction of knowing I never have to waste my evening at a stupid meeting. I'll find myself occasionally thinking "it's Thursday, I got the meeting tonight" then I remember, "No you don't, you idiot. Woo hoo!"

I equate it to one of the best feelings in the world, waking up in the middle of the night thinking you have to get up, then coming to your senses and realizing you still have hours left to sleep!

• factfinder
    factfinder

I'm very glad I no longer go to meetings but for almost all of the nearly 30 years I was in the truth I really liked the TMS and SM- they were my favorite meetings. I liked that they were made up of a lot of smaller parts, if one thing was not interesting something else would be, and it made the time go by quicker! Now with the 3 shorter meetings together if I was still going to the meetings I'd be glad it's like that.

• moshe
    moshe

I hated the Thrusday meetings too- even more so when I was the TM school overseer. Kids hated giving talks and there was no way to change their feelings about giving talks.

After I quit the Org, it caused a lot of friction in the family, when I stayed home and the wife was dragging our son and daughter to the meetings.

• new light
    new light

Tuesdays and Thursdays were so depressing. I actually got excited over Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, thinking they were the good days of the week when I was a young kid. Like, I would actually dress better and have more confidence socially on those days. Maybe it was because I knew those were the only days where there was a chance of doing something normal after school. Boo hoo, right?

Glad you got your Thursdays back. Not putting on a suit after a hard day's work is really the way to go.

• Libelle
    Libelle

yeap, my boy is actually starting to "get sick" nearly every Thursday. I do not wonder why.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I don't blame the kids for hating to get dressed up and being taken to the meetings.

I had to go to Hebrew School and Temple from age 9 till 13- when I quit! I was the only one in my family that had to go- my Mom picked me up after school and drove me to the temple 2 and then 3 days a week. And I had to go either Friday nights or Saturday mornings and to Sunday school too! How I hated it! And I was always alone. I hated Judaism so much.

I feel sorry for jw kids being forced to go to meetings and out in fs. No wonder almost two thirds of them leave the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit