Has anyone else encountered this?

by JWinprotest 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

My MIL, who is part of a Portuguese speaking congregation, told my wife that they began giving everyone an english copy of the internal study version of the WT along with their Portuguese copy. She's worried because she thinks they are planing to eventually move them to an english congregation, like they have done with other languages in the area already. I think there might be a real lack of brothers to take the lead in these foreign congs and the ones they do have are aging rapidly. So they might be preparing them for the inevitable. Or maybe they are giving out the english copy to benefit the younger ones who's first language is english.

She is a bit paranoid because back in the early 90's they eliminated Portuguese congregations altogether for about 5 or 6 years before opening a few back up, and I don't think she fully recovered from it. She pretends it doesn't bother her, but I know it does.

Can anyone from a foreign group let me know if they are doing this in other congregations as well?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

If the Portuguese people can speak English why do they need their own language cong?

What is so wrong with them going to an ordinary English speaking one? I am sure if I had gone to a Spanish cong in Spain instead of the English one we would have learned Spanish much more quickly and integrated faster and better into the country.

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

That's where the problem lies. The majority cannot speak english. The branch office just doesn't want to use the resources and they don't have the man power to keep a congregation going especially when there is little demand for that language in the territory. They have already done it with an italian cong nearby. They just sit there week after week in the KH nodding their head ignorantly.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Level 1

Overall rating: ( 4.9 out of 5 ) Open Ratings SnapshotSee all reviews FacebookDiggDelIcioUsTwitter $249.00 $224.00 </form>

WHAT'S INCLUDED

• Interactive Software

Our latest award-winning version teaches you to speak, read, write and think in English .

• Audio Companion™

For your CD or MP3 player so you can review while on the go.

• Headset with Microphone

For use with our state-of-the-art speech-recognition software.

• Live Online Lessons †

Practice sessions led by native- English speaking tutors.

• Games & Community †

English language-enhancing games move you towards real-world proficiency.

• Mobile Companion™ †

learning application for your iPhone ® or iPod Touch ® .

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Windows: XP SP3, Vista SP2, or Windows 7
    • Mac: Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard (OS X 10.4.11 or higher)
    • Minimum 1 GHz processor with 1GB RAM
    • Broadband Internet connection
    • 1024 x 768 display resolution
    • USB headset with microphone (included with purchase)

WHAT WILL I LEARN?

This level will help you:
    • Build vocabulary and language basics
    • Spell and write accurately
    • Speak without a script
    • Retain what you've learned
    • Read and understand
    Sample topics include:
    • Age, family relations, household items
    • Introductions and greetings
    • Times of day and calendar terms
    • Buying and selling

OUR SIX MONTH GUARANTEE

Six month no-risk money-back guarantee when you buy CD-ROM products direct from Rosetta Stone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit