I saw a prime candidate for a bible study today.

by hubert 2 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

I was at breakfast with the wife this morning, and as always, the news was on the t.v. there. It is a grizzly morning, with the snow, sleet and rain and slippery conditions.

This other couple was watching the news, the Cairo violence, the floods in Australia, etc. etc.

All of a sudden the guy says..." I think the world is coming to an end". Which, I immediately replied, "Naw, this stuff happens all the time, we just didn't know it before. The news media always pick up on disasters and bad news around the world, and today, we see what happens everywhere, but years ago, we didn't see it in the news, even though it still happened". He disagreed, of course, and I said, "read your history books. You'll see that although this is a bad year, these things happen often, and we are still here". He wasn't very happy with me. :)

I told my wife after we left that if any j.w. 's heard him talk like that, they'd be hovering all over him, getting him to do a bible study with them. He's definitely a prime candidate for one, in my opinion.

Hubert

• Ex-Dub MS
    Ex-Dub MS

I love how millions of people can live a life of daily horror, struggling merely to have enough to live on, for years and years.

But when hardship affects one of us in a country where even the poor can manage to stay obese OH NO!!! The whole world's collapsing on itself!

Which is only tangentially related to this topic. But I'm sayin.

-XD MS

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

During my study I defused the JW doom and gloom by comparing crime statistics with the past. You have to go back to about 1966 to have a murder rate the same as today, and it peaked in the 1990s. I showed them the USGS earthquake data to show there was no increase over the past. I pointed out how the society was predicting widespread famine by 1975 and how now the population was now double (starving people are incapable of breeding as food is the raw material humans are made of) and there is so much food that obesity is common.

I really shut them down with this simple challenge. Prove to me that that last century was any worse than the 14th century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit