How to explain to my jw son,the meaning of Matthew 24:14 & Matt 28:19&20

by reds 9 Replies latest jw friends

• reds
  • brotherdan
    brotherdan

Matthew 28:19,20: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

The WT does not do this. They baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the spirit directed organization. They blatently change this scripture during the baptism questions.

Also, this is a personal command. We cannot hide under an organization and say that "WE" are doing it. We are personally responsible for bringing people to Christ.

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

Matt 24 gives events that mark a certain period of time -- not a particular religious institution 'doing the preaching work'. This was to be fulfilled in the first century, during that generation (generation in the classic sense).

• jgnat
    jgnat

The question becomes, what gospel is to be preached? Surely it isn't to peddle Awake magazines regarding the charm of penguins. Have him read the account of Peter at Pentecost, Acts 2:14-38 and ask him if this is the gospel he is preaching.

Another question to ask is if the door-to-door work accurately describes the preaching work of the early Christians? You will find early Christians preaching in the local synogogues, in the town squares, and at the village gates. They were invited to people's homes, offered food and drink, with preaching afterwards. This is the only way in the culture of their day and before mass media, to spread the word to as many people as possible... that is, everywhere that people gathered.

At the Synagogue: Matthew 12:9, 13:54, Mark 1:21, 3:1, 6:3, Luke 4:16, 6:6, John 18:20, Acts 13:15, 13:42, 17:17, 18:4, 18:19, 18:26

In people's homes: Acts 18:7, Luke 19:1-7, Luke 7:37-39, 11:37-38, 1 Corinthians 16:19

At the well: John 4:6-12

• jgnat
    jgnat

More about the activity at the city's gates:

• AGuest
    AGuest

That is an inaccurate transliteration designed to support the false teaching of the Trinity, dear BroDan (peace to you!), but I won't go into why in detail here, in order not to distract from dear Reds' question.

Dear Reds (may you also have peace!), what most everyone misses is what John [the Baptizer] said:

"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the holy spirit and with fire."

... then my Lord said:

"You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with,"

, and both Peter and Paul corroborated. When explaining his dealings with the Samaritan (and thus, Gentile) household of Cornelius, Peter stated to the Apostles and other JEWISH disciples:

"I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with holy spirit.'"

When coming upon recently water baptized men in Ephesus, Luke records Paul's experience as:

"While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive holy spirit when you believed?" They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a holy spirit." So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John'sbaptism," they replied. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in [Jesus]." On hearing this, they were baptized into [the name of] the Lord [Jesus]. When Paul placed his hands on them, the holy spirit came into them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied."

Dear one, water baptism was for Israel (meaning, both Jew and Samaritans (the other 10 tribes,who were considered "gentiles"). They needed to repent of their transgressions against the Law (which all 12 tribes were bound to). Non-Israelite gentiles can undergo water baptism, too, as a symbol of repentance but it's not really necessary since they were never parties TO the Law (however, doing so binds them TO the Law, so if they do get so baptized... but yet are without Christ, well, they are in line to be judged BY the Law, so...). For THEM, however, the nations that are NOT under the Law, then, the words of Paul (who was an apostle to the nations).... that there is "ONE baptism" (Ephesians 4:4)... is true.

It is not baptism with water, per se, however - not with common H2O. It is baptism with LIVING water... the holy spirit of God, which water is poured out from the innermost part of His "cistern," the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, my Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH. He is the One who said to the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well:

"If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given youliving water."

He then said to her:

"... whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

It is THIS baptism that your dear son should seek, dear Reds; the baptism that cleanses MUCH more than the flesh... but the SPIRIT... so that it can be "without sin." It is this baptism... by holy spirit... which cleanses and imparts everlasting life... that we are to tell people about. In doing so, we will relate to them God's MERCY... through Christ... and so "make disciples." We don't make disciples of Christ by putting them back under [the] Law. That would make them disciples of Moses.

But it is this baptism with living water that cleanses us from ALL sin... of the SPIRIT... so that we can stand before the throne of God... UNcondemned (Romans 8:1). Thus, may you AND your son hear... when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take LIFE'S WATER... FREE!"

I hope this helps and, again, I bid you both peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• ssn587
    ssn587

brotherdan, that at matthew 28: 19,20 is not a command to us, it was given to the eleven as per vs 16, not all people who believed in the christ. This is a misconception in my view pushed by the WTBTS to get you out in service/sales of their magazines. You donate for them, and if someone donates for getting one they want that $$$ too. It's all a marketing scheme for the WTBTS. Not a commandment to all men.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My major gripe is with picking a few verses out of context rather than reading the entire book and canon in a few sittings. Personally, I don't know every detail Jesus meant. He could have been clearer and say "Whatever the WTBTS says to do, do it." He declined to make that statement. The surrounding culture in which Jesus was molded is important to know to help context. Jews, in general, don't proselytize but perhaps specific groups did. It is crucial whether he meant the core twelve or the multitudes that flocked to check this powerful teacher.

Jesus or Shakespeare said that the devil can quote scripture for his own purpose. What is so spectular about the Witnesses that Jesus would use them as the sole organ of His gospel? I feel Jesus had superb social skills. He partied, he dined with Pharisees with no arguments, had very close friends, and Mary Magdalene had prominence, no matter the details. I think he would use YouTube, i tunes, this site, mass rallies in major world cities, drop leaflets from planes the way the CIA does.

The Witnesses will never triumph when scriptures are read in context the way they were intended. The Bible isn't a collection of stories here and there. The authors went to great trouble to emphasize certain points. Certainly, the four gospels agree 95% of the time but there are factual differences. The earliest document, Q, only contained Jesus sayings. It was flushed out with narrative. When lawyers write legal briefs, they must first summarize the agreed facts. Highlighting your facts to sway the argument without misleading the court is an art form.

When Jesus want the potential convert to not listen b/c people want an oasis of privacy, their homes. Also, I only encounter Witnesses at airports, bus terminals in NY and Philadelphia. They sit on a bench and talk in deep conversation with each other. Try to get a WT or Awake from them! It is some feat. They are not the least bit engaged. One Witness on a train platform was different. I told her about my deep family ties to Bethel. Further, I explained what college exposed me to in the Bible and that the Witnesses lie. She was articulate, well-spoken, dressed decently. She sent me a written letter offering ME a Bible Study. She had balls but she made a wholehearted effort.

If they used other means of outreach, they would not be an international joke.

• reds
    reds

Thanks to all, I really appreciate all the different viewpoints. I really kick myself by falling for the explanation that if we question the fds we are being disloyal.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Aguest replied [about Matt 28: 19 & 20]

That is an inaccurate transliteration designed to support the false teaching of the Trinity,

I looked up on Biblos.com [the online parallel bible] a comparison of 17 different translations. The only difference in those translations is the change of the Holy Ghost to the Holy Spirit.

Are you aware of any evidence that suggests those scriptures had been tampered with?

respectfully,

DC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit