C.T. Russell and the Bible Students blessed and used by God?

by WontLeave 7 Replies latest jw friends

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

There is no question that the first president of this corporation, C. T. Russell, was used mightily by Jehovah during the period when basic Bible truths were being restored among God’s true worshipers on earth. - w1/1/1977

we have great love for Brother Charles T. Russell, for his work’s sake, and that we gladly acknowledge that the Lord used him and greatly blessed his work - ka p239, jv p155, others (Rutherford's speech announcing the adoption of the name Jehovah's Witnesses)

At their regular gatherings during the years 1870 to 1875, the religious thinking of these men underwent profound changes. With the passing of time, Jehovah blessed them with increasing spiritual light and truth. - yearbook 1975 p36

the majority of Bible Students knew that their work was not dependent upon one man. It was Jehovah’s work, directed by his holy spirit. - w7/1/1973

Judging by the results, there can be no doubt that Jehovah’s holy spirit was directing the endeavors of Brother Russell and those associated with him. - w5/15/1995

I'm sure there are many, many more...

Why would God be blessing the efforts of a group that wouldn't be identified as "faithful and discreet" until years later? According to JW doctrine, Jesus identified the FDS in 1918, and set them (still trying to figure out through the various convoluted identities of the FDS who it is: The WTS president, all earthly remnant, the GB, the writing committee...) "over all his belongings" in 1919. Russell died in 1916, before this happened. Sure, an individual can pray for insight and "power beyond what is normal" to preach, but these excerpts are obviously claiming God's active participation in their organizational effort, even though a time had been set for that separation to take place and according to JW doctrine, that time hadn't come yet.

I've had discussions with my studies about faith healing, praying for world peace, God intervening on our individual behalf, etc. My understanding of the scriptures is that God has a time already set to cure the world's ills, so he's not going to run around putting out the fires in Satan's system. That would defeat the purpose of allowing Satan to run the world into the ground and undermine his own patience. Likewise, what would be the point in setting a time (1918) for Jesus to identify the FDS, if God's just going to jump in early to identify and assist them in the latter part of the 19th century?

When they dropped the 1874 date in favor of 1914, they lost 40 years of being the FDS. Did they not realize that, hoped nobody would notice, or just figured they needed the new date badly enough to sacrifice those years since they were already passed? "Okay, maybe Russell wasn't over all Jesus' belongings, but we are"? The moving dates keep robbing Peter to pay Paul, theologically, but they're robbing from the past to buy more time and power in the future. Perhaps they figure the only people who would be alienated are dead or so old and indoctrinate or just too tired to make a change that they won't go anywhere. Old "new light" that people used to have to believe changing to new "new light" works pretty much the same way. But, at least as late as 1995 they say Russell and his followers were God's pawns. How can they have it both ways? Am I being nitpicky and starting "debates about words" or is this a glaring incongruity that no amount of mental contortions could possibly explain?

• wobble
    wobble

You are not being nit-picky at all, you have, and I thank you for it, highlighted yet another bit of lunacy that under-pins this religion.

If we had an Apologist for the WT on here, somebody who really believes this rubbish, I would love to see them try to explain it.

Of course , if they cannot satisfactorily explain it, then those quotes from the WT in your post are LIES !

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

The best part is of course,

that Rutherford threw out almost all of the 'beloved' Russells teachings!!!!

so much for him being used by god.

oz

• designs
    designs

'God has a time already set to cure the world's ills, so he's not going to run around putting out the fires in Satan's system'

That's our God- have the power to stop rape and genocide, eliminate hunger and do nothing

Don't you just love the Christian God.....sign me up, Not.

• JWB
    JWB

OPEN APPEAL TO THE BIBLE STUDENTS

With great respect, I would ask all current-day Bible Students who still hold to the teachings of Charles Taze Russell (CTR) to ask themselves this: "If any of CTR's teachings were shown to be based on error, would I allow loyalty and respect for him to prevent me from acknowleging that teaching as wrong, or would I for the sake of truth not only acknowledge the wrong teaching but refuse henceforth to promote it?" A similar question could be asked of JWs in relation to the Watch Tower Society. Another question I think good to ask oneself is: "Do I really have autonomy over discovering the truth where it relates to spiritual belief or do I still rely on, or even feel the need to hold to, particular beliefs as promoted by a person or group of persons?" Also: "Is my concern to 'save face', or to 'face the truth' and accept it even though it may be at odds with what I had been led to believe?"

It seems to me that not a few of the teachings of CTR are based on an error, which consequently would put various calculations of his out by 100 years. The error I'm talking about was an incorrect understanding of the number of years found at 1 Kings 6:1 where 480 years was believed to have been 580 years, based on a footnote in the Emphatic Diaglott referencing Acts 13:20. This has an effect on CTR's dating of the start of Christ's parousia (presence) in 1874. Once the error is corrected, it takes us to 1974 which is 58 years after his death. This means that Christ's parousia could not have begun in 1874 but rather in 1974, which would mean that he could not have been chosen as 'that servant' at the time of the Lord's inspection.

I wonder how many other teachings of CTR's are based on this error and should now be called into question by real truth seekers?

---

1 KINGS 6:1 AND THE EMPHATIC DIAGLOTT FOOTNOTE ON ACTS 13:20

"Now it came about in the four hundred and eightieth year after the sons of Israel came out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon's reign over Israel, in the month of Ziv which is the second month, that he began to build the house of the LORD." [1 Kings 6:1; NSAB]

"20. A difficulty occurs here [at Acts 13:20] which has very much puzzled Biblical chronologists. The date given here is at variance with the statement found at 1 Kings vi. 1. There have been many solutions offered, but only one which seems entirely satisfactory, i.e., that the text in 1 Kings vi. 1, has been corrupted, by substituting the Hebrew character daleth {4 [?]} for hay {5, [?]} which is very similar in form. This would make 580 years {instead of 480} from the exode [sic] to the building of the temple, and exactly agree with Paul's chronology." [Benjamin Wilson's Emphatic Diaglott (1864), footnote to Acts 13:20]

"Man's creation was placed in 4128 and sin's entrance in 4126 B.C.E. Such chronology followed an incorrect manuscript rendering of Acts 13:20 in The Emphatic Diaglott, which said that God gave Israel judges 'about four hundred fifty years, till Samuel the prophet.' A footnote stated that this was at variance with 1 Kings 6:1, where the Hebrew letter daleth (thought to represent the number 4) supposedly had been mistaken for the similar character he (5). Hence, it was suggested that 580 (not 480) years elapsed between Israel's exodus from Egypt and the time that Solomon began building Jehovah's temple. But the oldest manuscripts spell out all numbers. So a transcriber's visual error could not have occurred at 1 Kings 6:1, which gives this period correctly as 480 years. This harmonizes with a correct reading of Acts 13:20, which indicates that the period of 'about four hundred and fifty years' there mentioned preceded the era of the Judges. In 1943 the Watch Tower Society's book "The Truth Shall Make You Free" did away with the nonexistent extra 100 years in the period of the Judges and placed the end of 6,000 years of man's existence in the 1970's. It also fixed the beginning of Christ's presence, not in 1874, but in 1914 C.E." [Watch. 15 Aug 1974, "No Spiritual 'Energy Crisis' for Discreet Ones" (pages 506-509), Footnotes]

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Rather than self-congratulation (It is always better to have someone else toot your horn), why did not Jesus communicate this to the entire world? Certainly, he is not inhibited by human power. Jesus or a small monolithic publishing co? I choose Jesus.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I love how God supposedly chose them back then, yet they had so many teachings that you would be disfellowshipped for now. "New light!" you say?

Then they tell us that we shouldn't celebrate Christmas or Father's/Mother's day because it had pagan/wicked origins. They tell us that where things came from is important. Yet, apparently there is no reason to put the WT under the same microscope. "It doesn't matter what they did then, what matters is what they are doing now." It makes me sick.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Does it sound reasonable that God would let Russell steal his 1914 nonsense from people who today would be labeled as "Apostates"? Then let him embellish this with pagan ideas? Is that how Holy Spirit works? Any reasonable person would find this reprehensible. Yet the WBTS would have you believe God fully supported this. So he must have deceived Russell only to tell him the truth many years later. Of course, that was only after his prophesies failed. Good timing on God's part. Are any of you still buying this? How about the flip flop on issues of life & death. Does it sound reasonable to have the HS let you believe lies at the cost of countless of lives. Who's responsible for the destroyed lives? All of this monumentally fails the very first test of the true religion; to love one another. Those of you still in..... get out now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit