World becoming more religious not less

by Stealth 19 Replies latest social current

• PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil

Will China become the largest Christian Nation in the World, i've heard tell of this for years and now with all their wealth and longing after decades of corruption and State Sponsored anti-religion, why is one of the largest educated groups changing?

http://www.slate.com/bigideas/what-is-the-future-of-religion/essays-and-opinions/fenggang-yang-opinion

• talesin
    talesin

This is a momentary blip ......... people turn to religion when they are oppressed - HELLO!

We in NA and Europe, and other 'lucky' countries, have no concept of the suffering, the poverty, experienced in other places. These people will turn to religion to ease their suffering.

If we DO evolve, and start solving problems like world hunger, and greed, and people can be HAPPY and WELL FED,,, then religion will disappear from the planet. There would be no need for a G*d if people were happy in their lives, had enough to enjoy living, satisfying work, etc.

Once we get past political/cultural and financial ideologies, and start treating each other as equals, there will be NO NEED for religion or any other fantastical belief systems.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

These people [the poor] will turn to religion to ease their suffering - this explains the rise of religion, generally speaking, in the Third World.

However, on its own, this doesn't explain the rise in Islamism or why some Muslims are radicalised - Bin Laden was from a wealthy family, lots of extremists emigrating from the West to ISIS have left behind degrees, good jobs, etc.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Heaven,

"I think people seek religion when their world fails them in some way."

Heaven, religion loves misery. It provides people with a thought process that fantasizes about a good life beyond their current one and keeps them from despair. One thing to know is that we have evidence of religion, or magic, from prehistoric paintings dating back to 35,000 years ago. It must be hardwired in our brain.

LoveUniHateExams,

"I've read that Islam had a medieval heyday, too - there was relative tolerance of 'the other' and a thirst to acquire knowledge. We must ask why Islam is apparently regressing, not progressing."

Good point Uni. I believe their religiosity is enhanced by the poverty of their lives which in turn is the result of their arid environment. It must have taken a wise and strict ruler to, temporarily, civilize them.

• talesin
    talesin

Technological illiteracy, combined with fear of *nothing* ......... ie, ideas like terrorism, poverty, hunger - ie, these are concepts .......... there is no WAR that will cure these ills, only a sea change of the world view.

• PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil

It's a fact Islam is not a fair comparison to make against any other World Religion, Islam is growing because your not allowed to freely change or deny faith so readily. Experts in Middle Eastern culture say it's "The fastest religion because it forced, you can't wake up one day in these areas and say "oh dad by the way, I am not a believer in the Prophet, ok?".

Why can't these factors be presented in arguments when claims of each religions growth or decline is made, it's obvious your not safe saying what's inside your heart if you decide to stop having faith. China's growth with the xian religion is happening because scholars in think there's a bankruptcy of inside, Monotheistic religions like Xians, Islam and Judaism slide almost hand and hand with ancient Confucianism. I was watching videos on that colony Marco Polo discovered, the Jews in the Kai-Feng region. When Catholic friar in 1608 showed up to China, it's reported a Jew from Kai-Feng traveled to talk with the Friar only to leave disheartened because of the Friar's love of pork and misunderstanding who the Friar was bowing to (Jesus and Mary).

Friars were seeking out older texts they thought would predate the First Century, a thriving Jewish Community from 700 AD to 1800 AD until it disappeared.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm alarmed that Islam, the religion with its anti-equality and pro-violence teachings most talked about in the world right now, is growing fast.

This seems to be further evidence the human race's ignorance is going to continue.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

ideas like terrorism - terrorism is so much more than simply an idea, but then I guess you already knew this. The severed heads of James Foley, Stephen Sotloff, David Haines , Alan Henning and thousands of others - Syrians, Iraqis, Libyans, Egyptians and Nigerians, show that multiple terrorist groups (Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, Jabhat Al Nusra, ISIS, Al Qaeda and others) are at war with the civilized world.

there is no WAR that will cure these ills, only a sea change of the world view - this smacks of naivety.

• talesin
    talesin

LoveUnHate

I see your view as naive --- you can't make a war on an amorphous 'enemy'.

How successful was the War on Poverty?

How successful was the War on Hunger?

How successful was the War on Child Abuse?

These are all American concepts, and oh my, SO flawed.

There is no WAR - you can't fight a war on poverty, when capitalists are running the world. HELLO! It's a ridiculous concept, and I am guessing you are American, because that is the BS you have been fed from birth. There is NO possibility of fighting a WAR against a concept. Who is the enemy? Crazy stuff, and shaking my head at the fact, THE FACT, that people are hoodwinked into thinking that these catch-phrases mean anything.

ack!

tal :sunglasses:

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@tal - I agree that wars on poverty and hunger are very difficult to fight.

you can't fight a war on poverty, when capitalists are running the world - I don't know about this, but capitalism done responsibly is the best humans can do, IMO.

I notice that you chose not to deal with my points on terrorism.

You must concede that terrorism is more than an idea. It can be fought - by supporting peshmerga and Iraqi soldiers and by airstrikes.

There is no WAR - a quick glance around the world proves otherwise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit