Bethel's Pipe Organ

by cabasilas 0 Replies latest jw friends

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

No scandal, nothing heavy here. Just an interesting tidbit as I was researching something online.

A pipe organ that was installed into the Bethel Kingdom Hall in 1950 and was there until 1960:

http://www.nycago.org/Organs/Bkln/html/BethelHome.html

This theatre organ was built in 1931 by the Austin Organ Company for station WHK of the Radio Air Service Corp. in Cleveland, Ohio. Austin's Op. 1778 was known as a "unified" (theatre) model, and it included a three-manual Art Deco console and an automatic player. The organ cost $16,500. In 1950, the organ was donated to the Bethel Home and was installed in new building addition then underway. The Great, Choir and Pedal were installed in a chamber that spoke through grills into what is now a dining room but was then a Kingdom Hall for the Brooklyn Heights congregation. The Swell was installed above the ceiling and spoke through a grill. Installation of the Austin organ was supervised by Robert Hatzfeld of the headquarters staff. The organ was used there until about 1960, at which time the organ was in need of major repairs. The Witnesses decided that pipe organs did not fit into their religious profile and, in 1961, the organ was sold and moved to St. Augustine Presbyterian Church in The Bronx.

I'm assuming this was in the what we called the upper dining room in the 124 Columbia Heights building. The article also mentions an earlier organ at Bethel. I believe it was used for WBBR. Just an historical tidbit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit