Had Dinner with my Daughter

by Undecided 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi All,

My paternal daughter is going to college to learn to do sonograms. She has finished her schooling for xray and likes sonograms better. She is married and seems happy. She trains at the local hospital so we could have dinner together today, my wife was at college so she wasn't with us.

I wanted to tell her how much I love and appreciate her value in my life. She is the very best part of my entire life and has been an absolute perfect daughter. Being a man I just can't seem to put it into words. I think I would cry if I tried to tell her. The best I could do was hug her when we left and say I really appreciate you. I think she knows how I feel and I can tell she loves me also. We always give each other a big hug when she leaves and say I love you, I hope she truly knows how much. This lunch made my day.

Ken P.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

That's a great post. Now, THAT'S why I'm not a JW anymore. I never saw true feeling like that in the borg.

Bless you, man, that's a real sweet story.

ashi

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

hi ken! thanks for sharing another moment of your life i love hearing about them!
    i'm glad you had a chance to spend some time with your daughter.

i understand that you had so many things you wanted to tell her, but couldn't seem to get them out. my dad and i are like that. we just hug and we can feel what we have for eachother. but still, once in awhile we can have a nice chat and tell eachother how much we mean to eachother and love eachother ... sometimes it's nice to tell someone that and hear it back. i hope someday you can tell your daughter exactly how you feel, until then just keep giving her hugs and telling her you love her !

thanks again for sharing!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

KenP,

That is sooo nice! (((hug))). I very rarely see my father. He and my mother divorced when I was 12 and he got remarried. I have seen him approximately 10 times in the last 28 years.

Please try telling her you love her. Even if that is all you say. It is so important!

My Dad tries, however, we are like distant relatives. He does not really know me or what my views on life are....he is too busy to ask.

Send her a card if it is hard to put into words. A little thing like that goes a long way towards building relationships. Don't let her slip away. I am sure she loves you and just wants to be with you. As she gets older, her relationship with you will be even more critical.

Best wishes,
    Tina AKA puffs

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I'm like that with my dad. He's 80 now, but we are still so close. Recently he tried to tell me how he felt, and I think he manged to say "you're wonderful". I don't expect him to express his feelings coz he's always been there for me and mine and his interest and concern and help says it all. Special bonds such as yours and mine are the very best that life has to offer.

Marilyn

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I know just how you feel, Ken. I have two daughters myself, 27 and 29. I have told them both they are the high points in my life. I recently made them both a set of CDs of favorite music from the summer of 1984, the second summer I brought them to Florida. I printed pictures from the summer for the CD cases and wrote on the inside how special they were to me.

Thankfully, neither of them ever were interested in the JWs. Since I am out, we get along just as good as we did before.

I even had one elder tell me that their raising didn't mean much since they weren't JW. He wore out his welcome in my home, real fast!

Of all the faults I saw in the JWs, the lack of love is probably the biggest.

Hopefully, one day, your daughter will reward you with as wonderful of grandchildren as my oldest has me.

Lew

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's quite a love affair, this love we have for our daughters, ain' it?

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

My father-in-law is a sweet rather sentimental man and my mother-in-law tries to pretend she isn't sentimental at all. For my husband's last birthday,they bought him the book "Love You Forever" by Robert Munch (we had it already, but so what) and made a tape of Vera Lynn singing "My Son, My Son". We ALL got teary. I am blessed to have such wonderful in-laws, and a great husband and kids. I love mush.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi All,

I'm so glad that others here enjoy their relationship with their children and fathers. This is what life is about, in my opinion.
    She stopped by with her husband later today and I fixed them some leftovers. My step-daughter had fixed some stuffed mushrooms and sent them down for her. They are very close and visit each other often. I'm a lucky man to have them. (My wife had gone back to college for evening classes} I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

Regards,

Ken P.

• Wounded Heart
    Wounded Heart

hi Ken,

i really enjoyed reading you express your feelings about your daughter and how you tried to express them to her. would it be possible for you to express these feelings in a card and mail them to her? or maybe you could print out a copy of this post and send it to her? as a daughter of a father who never expressed himself (til mom died 8yrs ago), i must tell you that it would be a treasure for your daughter to know how you feel. when mom died, she left my bro, dad & i, strangers really, alone to deal with each other. we had to force ourselves to learn how to express our feelings to each other. it took time but it is time well spent. i know from experience. i always knew my dad loved me. but, well, it certainly doesnt hurt to hear him say how much and why and so forth ya know? its the same between my brother and father. they had to learn to express themselves to each other too. actually, to clarify, we had to learn to express ourselves beyond "i love you". my brother and i were fine with each other. but with our dad, well, he never really talked to us. we knew he loved us, but it was just words really. now its more. weve always been huggy, "i love you" people--just the way our family is. but now we really communicate. anyway, i just wanted to share my experience with you. and truly, if i was your daughter, and you, say, emailed this post to me, id print it out for the world to see. congrats for having such a wonderful daughter! you obviously did a great job! keep up the good work!

Kat
    Wounded Heart

Love by giving to & accepting others unconditionally = true, pure love

"When in doubt, do the loving thing." ~ 8yr old "Pirate"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit