A big experiment?

by pontoon 6 Replies latest jw friends

• pontoon
    pontoon

Remember ant farm experiments? Very narrow glass enclosures with soil and ants inside. You could see their tunnels and social structure. Then we could drop a black ant into a red ant farm just to see what happens....

Ever feel that earth and life on it is nothing but a experiment for some higher spirit life form? Like we are being watched and to the amusement of ???????? its "let's see how they react to this......

Not saying I believe that, but I would say that enough time has passed, enough suffering, enough inhumanity, that if Jeh. were trying to prove a point about rulership go ahead and make your point and then FIX it. I guess my biggest problem is how a loving God can watch all this bad and not act just to prove how wrong humans are and how right he is.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

good theory.

• designs
    designs

If you self proclaimed that you were totally good and the epitome of love and had total control of the universe and did nothing to stop evil hunger and disease what does that make you.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The whole story of God and a higher order of things falls apart when you start looking at the true meaning of Love and how the inactions of said loving higher power don't align with THE enlightened and all powerful principle of Love. This is THE ultimate contradiction of the Bible. When you come to realize it, everything vanishes like smoke in the wind. So, yep, a big lab experiment is one way to sum up any belief in an englightened, loving power who does nothing loving.

One of my fave quotes comes from the movie Constantine:

Angela Dodson: I guess God has a plan for all of us.
    John Constantine: God's a kid with an ant farm, lady. He's not planning anything.

• pontoon
    pontoon

Heaven, you said that better than I could. I'll have to check that movie.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

When I was a kid, I felt like that all the time. I felt like I was in a giant box, which was the Earth, and somebody, possibly multiple somebodies, were all looking down into the box, watching everything.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Basically that is the position of a number of Adventist groups including the JWs. We are in some cosmic experiment. Interestingly the WT has over the years eroded the philosphic underpinnings of the doctrine. They have made statements that said the Jesus 2000 years ago answered the issue of whether it was possible for Adam to have obeyed, thus removing the question of whether the human design was flawed. And they have said thatGod had allowed humans to have come to their "peak of technological advancement" (whatever that means) and experiment with every form of government (again whatever that means) so that it could not be argued that God ended the experiement too soon. However, people will always improve in their technology and always be imagining new combinations of government theory so these statements are meaningless. Essentially they have either removed the alleged reasons for God's delay or they have formulated an experiment without any defined hypothesis to test. The doctrine of universal sovereignty seemed inspired back in the Industrial Revolution when it was formulated by the Adventist movement, Many feared a distopian mechanized, impersonal world was coming and confident that God would restore an agrarian world wherein everyone knew only enough to worship God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit