Why only 7 or 8 members on the Governing Body?

by Gilgamesh 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Gilgamesh...cuz I'm feeling lazy, can you tell me what is Ecclesiasticus? Im guessing it is apocrypha? Do you know when it was written? That quote is so interesting, what a crazy coincidence :).
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ FayeDunaway,

"Gilgamesh...cuz I'm feeling lazy, can you tell me what is Ecclesiasticus? Im guessing it is apocrypha?"

Yes, it is from the Apocrypha.

My understanding is that it was written around 250 BC.
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh
    Yep. About 250 BC, can't be older than 300 BC. Originally in Hebrew. Included as if canonical in all oldest major Greek Bible manuscripts (Alexandrinus, Sanaiaticus, Vaticanus) also in Syriac, also in Hebrew Dead Sea Scrolls and Masada Scrolls. "New Jerusalem Bible" is the one I copied the translation from and there it also mentions that it was referred/quoted/borrowed in James and Matthew in the NT. Also called Sirach.
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman
    It takes 2/3 to vote for something for it to pass. So I can just see them pushing there favorite's and not being able to get many things done!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

stuckinarut2 - "A smaller group of like minded 'yes' men is easier to control rather than a larger group..."

Couldn't have put it better.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I was under the impression that the 2/3 majority of Franz's day no longer applied.

One of the current GB said somewhere that they must ALL be in agreement.

If a current helper was of the OS and they wanted him on the GB, that could be considered his 'calling to heaven' I am sure.

George

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I just realized I actually have this right next to my bed! Am looking at sirach now. It's in the good news bible (catholic)

sirach 37:13,14,15

trust your own judgment, no one's advice is more reliable. Sometimes your own intuition can tell you more than seven watchmen on a high tower. Above all, pray to the most high that he will show you the right thing to do.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

It just like a JC vote, if it 2 to 1, and they can't get past it, they do what ever had the winning vote, and claim they were in total agreement!

The GBodies would never get anything done if it had to always be 200%!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit