David from Ozzie and Harriet passes away -- ties to JW's?

by FatFreek 2005 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

David Nelson passed away today.

Many years ago (50's and 60's) I'd heard that the family had some ties to JW's in some fashion. Any truth to that one?

Len

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I recently read about them in wikipedia without remembering a mention. If there were one, I believe I'd remember.

I was one of the girls drooling over Ricky but David had gravitas and poise. Ricky did numbskull things; David did not.

It is sad for me.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Hmmm....I don't think so, but I'm not surprised that such an urban legend might spring up among Witnesses. Such a wholesome, all-American family, many JW's I'm sure wanted to think the Nelsons were potential converts.

I remember JW's fantasizing about favorite "worldly" people getting a witness and legitimizing our cult by joining us. My grandmother was sure that Lawrence Welk would be JW material if only he could be reached. Same for Liberace (she didn't know a few things!), the Lennon sisters, Jimmy Stewart, etc.

Edited to add: Yeah, as a little Witness chick, I knew Ricky was the "bad boy." But David was the solid, mature type that would make a good elder.

• life is to short
    life is to short

No I was raised a JW and heard that for years. The parents Ozzy and Harriet were JW's I even heard that Ozzy was an elder? David I heard stayed a JW and well Ricky left.

Never knew if any of it was true but it was going around for sure.

LITS

• blondie
    blondie

I have heard this on JWN from time to time but no support ever. I was old enough to watch the O&H show in its heyday. No mention ever...

Maybe they had a jw maid or someone on the staff was a jw, but I never heard that either.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

http://www.spinner.com/2011/01/12/david-nelson-statement-from-nelson-brothers/

Speaking "on behalf of the Rick Nelson family," Gunnar Nelson said that they will "all miss Uncle Dave's laughter and evolved sense of humor. I'm sure that Grandpa Ozzie, Grandma Harriet, and our pop, Rick, were all waiting for him to welcome him home when his time came."

That doesn't sound like a JW connection to me.

My condolences to his family, friends and fans.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Look at their show and then look at America today...we've come a long way baby. Which do you think is/was a more fullfilling life?

Snoozy

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I liked that show when I was a kid along with bachelor father, leave it to beaver, topper, and my little margie.

• life is to short
    life is to short

This is really strange because everyone where I grew up totally said that they were JW''s. I am on the west coast, I do not know how the rummer got started, I was just a kid listening, but it was even elders who said that. I thought more people would have heard it. I always knew my area was screwed up with their thinking and gossiping.

LITS

• blondie
    blondie

jw rumors

jw #1: I heard Famous Person is a jw...

jw #2: Who told you that?

jw #1: Elder Rumor told me he heard it from the CO two visits ago (hard to confirm)

jw #2: How did he know? Did he meet him?

jw #1: No, but he met a brother in his last circuit whose BIL's FIL did.

jw #2: What is his name; I'd like to call him.

jw #1: I don't know his name; but a CO would never pass on info unless he had confirmed it.

jw #2: I'll check into it....(gets Famous Person's family's number and calls who are surprised, the person has never been part of any religious group) jw #2 tells jw #1.

jw #1: You can't believe them, worldly people always lie............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit