A Worldwide Rally

by cornish 4 Replies latest jw friends

• cornish
    cornish

A Rally Against bullying cults.
    One thing I remember reading in Steve Hassans book Combating Cult Mind Control is how much cults hate publicity ie having their dirty deeds out in the open.
    I was thinking to myself what do people usually do to highlight some concern or make a protest,here in the UK one popular method is to do a march demonstration and hand a petition or something to the prime minister at ten downing street,would it not be great if ex members of Jehovahs Witnesses and sympathisers and possibly including ex members of other cults could get together and have a large rally in the nations capital,a point of contention could be destructive cults having charitable status or something but including issues like blood shunning,manipulation etc culminating in Downing Street,other countries could have similar simaltanious rallies in their Capitals.It would probrably grab the medias attention.
    Are there enough of us?
    Just a thought,mayby a little over the top!

• sleepy
    sleepy

I thinks it a good idea.
    We could highlight how unfounded religious beliefs can have a negative effect on the country.

• fodeja
    fodeja
    One thing I remember reading in Steve Hassans book Combating Cult Mind Control is how much cults hate publicity ie having their dirty deeds out in the open.

I may be wrong, but my impression is that these days, the WTS needs publicity, and it doesn't matter very much whether that's negative or positive publicity. The JWs aren't a mass religion. They will always attract only a small percentage of people -- people who would understand negative publicity as "persecution".

So, IMHO, it's best to deliver targeted information to Witnesses and don't bother the majority of other people with things they couldn't care less about. The average non-Witness probably doesn't waste more than half a second of thinking about JWs per year, and it's likely something as "oh my, this guy is standing here every day with his silly magazines".

I think that's fine.

f.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

A well-written book addressing the cult problem, perhaps with a slant on how to keep your kids free from cults could be a vehicle for getting on the talk show circuit. Using the Walker kid as an example might help. He is not a witness, of course, but a victim of cult thinking? His name is in the news, so use it as a launching pad for the cult warning.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• anewperson
    anewperson

Suggestion: 1st weekend of May. Make it international, though, say in each national and state or provincial capital.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit