Percentage of NFL players with goatees. Typical of the USA?

by ThomasCovenant 4 Replies latest social physical

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Are goatees very, very popular at the moment in the USA? Because whenever I watch the NFL here in Blighty I see that about 80% of the players have goatees and about 95% have either a goatee, a tash, or a full beard.

Is it to make the helmet chin strap more comfortable?

Or are they at the cutting edge of today's male grooming fashion?

(What a run by Lynch for the Seahawks btw)

• megaflower
    megaflower

I think the look in general is to be scruffy, a weeks worth of beard. Personally, I think the look is awful. Its one thing to take a week off from grooming because you are at the beach or camping but come on, how can they think it looks good next to a nice suit. I know others will say they like it but this is just my opinion.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    (What a run by Lynch for the Seahawks btw)

A combination of great running and incredibly poor tackling.

As for beards, I would say it's nowhere near 80%. Probably closer to 50/50.

• undercover
    undercover

Speaking as one of the scruffy class, goatee's are pretty popular as well as the 3 day beard look. Problem for some people is that the 3 day beard takes 7-10 days to grow, and then it's patchy/scruffy.

I've grown a beard off and on, though it's not as thick as I'd like. When it bugs me, I trim down to a goatee.

For me personally, I keep some kind of facial hair only because for years and years I wasn't allowed to. Now that no one can tell me I can't, I do it just because I can and want to. It's also a clear signal to JWs who see me. Nothing says "worldly" like facial hair.

Back to the NFL though... I've noticed another trend and not just the NFL but in the NBA and even the college ranks. Tattoos. It's like 60-70 percent of all players have tattoos. Not just a single one, but full sleevs and ornate designs. Maybe NHL players have them too, but with their full sweaters (jerseys) you can't see em.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Speaking as one of the scruffy class, goatee's are pretty popular as well as the 3 day beard look. Problem for some people is that the 3 day beard takes 7-10 days to grow, and then it's patchy/scruffy.

I've grown a beard off and on, though it's not as thick as I'd like. When it bugs me, I trim down to a goatee.

For me personally, I keep some kind of facial hair only because for years and years I wasn't allowed to. Now that no one can tell me I can't, I do it just because I can and want to. It's also a clear signal to JWs who see me. Nothing says "worldly" like facial hair.

Back to the NFL though... I've noticed another trend and not just the NFL but in the NBA and even the college ranks. Tattoos. It's like 60-70 percent of all players have tattoos. Not just a single one, but full sleevs and ornate designs. Maybe NHL players have them too, but with their full sweaters (jerseys) you can't see em.

Funny how something as natural as facial hair spells bad news to approaching JWs. Just shows how insane this religion is, buncha nuts. I grow a soul patch occasionally, and I remember when I was younger, older brothers would look at me and they'd motion their finger underneath their bottom lip. I guess it was sign language for, "we don't do facial hair, preMisery!" Now that I'm older, occasionally I grow it, and nobody really says anything. The last CO we had actually stated it was ok to grow one. What generated him stating that left me with questions because I wasn't aware that any of us we're making an issue out of it. I would like to grow a goatee....someday...in due time.

Tattoos are crazy right now, and I think it actually says something about society. Granted we're not under the Mosaic Law, and if a Christian chooses to get a tattoo, thats their choice. However in my opinion, it says something about people's self respect and also how feeble minded people are. 50Cent has tattoos, now everybody has to have tattoos. Male models with spider webs on their elbows, its ridiculous. Little white chicks with devil girls on their ankles or leg. The chinese symbols were the best to me. Nothing says stereotypical jackass to me like chinese symbols on a girl's arm that stand for strength or some other ridiculous personal self esteem reminder. I'm in no position to judge, but tools come in all shapes, sizes and colors I guess. For the record, I don't knock tattoos, or those that make a living doing them, or those obsessed with having them. I don't know exactly how to word this, but I just believe something is wrong with a society of trendhoppers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit