by butalbee 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• butalbee
    butalbee

Okay, just for the record--this post is very long and pathetic. I found it while doing some research and it's just so outrageous and ignorant. The WT has their own demented answers for anything, and this is their reasoning behind the #'s 666:
    Watchtower January/February 1882 p. 9, 10 ***
    'THE NAME OF THE BEAST, OR THE NUMBER OF HIS NAME.'

B. Have you been able to decipher the name and number? I have heard of many who have tried all sorts of names and applications, but none of them ever seemed reasonable to
    me.

A. The same has been my difficulty. A little over a year ago I spoke on the subject of this same chapter to the name-less little company of 'this way,' in Lynn, Mass. , and concluded my remarks by telling them that I had never seen a satisfactory explanation of the 666. And, though I thought I had given a correct analysis of the symbols of the chapter, yet I could not claim it to be wisdom, since I could not interpret the number. I suggested, however, that if ours be the correct understanding of the time in which we are living-the 'harvest' of the age-and if our general application of these symbols be correct, the number should soon be understood. I urged examination on the subject by all, for the Lord is sometimes pleased to give wisdom through the weakest of his children. 'Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings thou hast ordained praise. '

About three months after, I received a long letter from one of the thinking brethren of that place, saying that he thought he had the key; and I think he has; it certainly fits the lock in every particular. I will give it to you very much as he suggested it.

His process of reasoning was as follows: Jesus, who gave this revelation to us (Rev. 1:1), well knew that this symbol could not be understood until about the present time, for the reason that the Image was only made in 1846. Jesus also knew, of course, that English would be the language used by probably four-fifths of his earnest truth-seeking children, in the 'time of the end. He knew, also, that not many wise, not many great, not many learned in all languages would be of the chosen 'little flock. ' Moreover, it was his custom to adapt his teachings to the 'common people,' and of this sort his Jewels have been from, the twelve disciples and since. Therefore it would appear that the number 666, should be open to the comprehension of us all-we being the ones told to count-as much so as were
    the other symbolic numbers of Danl. and Rev. Let us try, then, to apply these figures in English. *(This is the first application in English, known to the writer, but the reasonableness of it is obvious.)

First, then, the number is that of the (first) BEAST. Let us see whether it will apply to some of its names, That system which Paul calls the man of sin is the

Roman Catholic power = 666.
    12345 61234561 23456

He is in Revelation called a BEAST
    Roman Catholic 'Beast' = 666.

The system is also called the 'woman' (Rev. 17:18)
    Roman Catholic 'woman' = 666.

She calls herself the
    'Holy Catholic Church' = 666.

She is really and truly (Rev. 17:5) 'The Mother of Harlots' = 666.

Thus we see that the number fits the BEAST well.

The second BEAST was anxious to have exactly the same name, and in fact it claimed to have the pre-eminent right to the name- 'Holy Catholic church,' = 666.

Other names by which it is often known, are -
    'English State Church,' = 666.
    'The Episcopal Church,' = 666.
    'Episcopalian Church,' = 666.
    'The Church of England,' = 666.

This application of the number, will doubtless appear to some too simple to be accepted, but thus God ever deals with us-hiding truth under the vail of its own simplicity, so that it may appear to the Greek (worldly wise) foolishness, but unto them which believe (not to those who believe without
    evidence, but who believe on the strongest kind of evidence -the harmony of His Word) the power of God, and the wisdom of God. (1 Cor. 1:23.)

The Image causes all who claim relationship, or whom it recognizes, as having a right to buy or sell - teach - to have as a creed, that which shall mark them as having either 'the name' of the BEAST, or the 'number' of his name - 666.
    Many take the name and in their creeds recite, 'I believe in the 'Holy Catholic Church' = 666.

Among those who thus openly mark themselves in their forehead (by their creeds) are Episcopalians, Methodists, Presbyterians and others. But others give a seeming support (mark in their hand) to the general principal by
    organizing under various sectarian names. After these are blended in the IMAGE, (and no one would be admitted to
    membership in the Evangelical Alliance, unless he be a member of some such sect), they all are collectively known as the 'Protestant Churches,' = 666. Which we see contains the Beast's number.

If we for instance were to organize, though we protest more than all others against the errors of Rome, and also against the errors of the Image and second BEAST, yet we would not be reckoned one of the 'Protestant churches,' because we would not be recognized as orthodox-They would not
    count our organization a church.

Should you inquire for our meetings and ask - Is that a protestant church which meets here? the answer would come - Oh, no; they are not Evangelical. They have no creed to mark them, so that the Alliance can decide whether
    they are an Evangelical Protestant Church or not."

[Emphasis Added]

[Editors Note: Using this same 6+6+6 formula:
    Charles Taze Russell
    1234561 2345 6123456 = 666]

• Carmel
    Carmel

666 in the Muslim calendar is the year the "antichrist" of Islam sacked Medina.

Historical factoid!

carm

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Butalbee...I don't know about the 666 stuff but as I was previously stuck on my 666 post, I was somehow drawn here to this thread to get passed this accursed number. lol

Skipper

• Satanus
    Satanus

bute

Here is another one, using the hebrew letters fro ceasar nero. Remember, hebrew had no numbers, so letters were used for numbers.
    See more at http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/pc_number-beast.html
    and http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/666.htm

This of course come from the preterist camp. They believe that all or most of the prophecies are fulfilled, finished and done with. Kinda leaves all these modern prophets with an empty bucket. There are a few preterists on this board.

SS

• Faraon
    Faraon

Do these definitions work in all languages for 666?
    In Spanish they would be:
    'English State Church,' = Iglesia Inglesa del Estado
    'The Episcopal Church,' = La iglesia Episcopal
    'Episcopalian Church,' = Iglesia Episcopal
    'The Church of England,' = La Iglesia de Inglaterra

JRP
    Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
    Nietzsche

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit