Reliable Reporting in the Awake

by maninthemiddle 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Concider this a follow up to the previous Dinosaur thread. I was interestd in what else might have been said and I found this:

From *** g75 6/8 p. 5 A Worldwide Flood—What Does It Mean to You? ***

A Worldwide Flood—What Does It Mean to You?
    “There is one significant fact that is always connected with every dinosaur fossil and every mammoth fossil, and that is that every fossil is almost invariably dug out of water-laid sedimentary rock. Every fossil is either dug out of shale, which is just floodwater mud hardened into rock, or out of floodwater sand hardened into sandstone, or frozen into permafrost.”
    Target: Earth notes with regard to the Yukon district of North America: “The presence of bones, trees, peat, and other debris all mixed together down to a depth of nearly 100 feet, points to a cataclysmic flood of tremendous proportions that must have moved across the land, grinding the bodies of the animals with stones and trees and spreading the whole out over the Yukon Valley.”

So who is Target Eart, could they have an agenda?

From their website...http://www.targetearth.org/about/about_main.html

Target Earth is a national movement of Christians who reflect this commitment to care. It's a movement of individuals, churches, college fellowships and Christian ministries motivated by the biblical call to be faithful stewards of everything God created-to love our neighbors as ourselves and to care for the earth.

One more reason not to attribute your resource.

• alanv
    alanv

It's a bit like asking the local mikman whether he thinks milk is good for us.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Did the article explain how the kangaroos got to Australia after the ark made landfall and why they are ONLY found in Australia?

(No, I didn't think so. )

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Naturaly the conditions where animal remains would be buried and undisturbed would often be when soft water body sediments or mud encased the specimen. This is why it is completely outrageous for Creationists to insist that scientists have fossil remains of every species that existed. However many of the best specimens have been found in volcanic ashfalls or peat bogs and tar pits. Even amber preserves fossils millions of years old. No floods of water involved in any of these.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Epic of Gilgamesh which I reread recently blew my mind. Written a long, long time before Genesis, it recounts the flood story with some of the same details as in the Bible. I was amazed.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What was also impressive was that the translation I read was much better story telling and language than in the Bible.

• eric356
    eric356

@Band on the Run - Hey, the redactor(s) of the Pentatuch did a pretty good job considering they had to stitch multiple narratives together that had repeating / conflicting elements.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

So question for you all, since we know that there wasn't a global flood, what does that mean for Peter and Paul, and even Jesus when they speak about the flood?

Were they talking about the local flooding that there is evidence for? Did they believe it was global?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It wouldn't be necessary to believe that NT writers thought of the story as historical for them to use it as an object lesson or metaphor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit