brainwashing defense

by jenleesey 6 Replies latest jw friends

• jenleesey
    jenleesey

Hi all...I've been lurking here for the last 1 1/2 years and enjoy reading this forum every night. I figured it was about time i spoke up...I DA'd myself October 2000 after reading several experiences here on the net and after doing some of my own research i came to the conclusion that i had been "sucked" in. I have lost a great many friends including my best friend of 18 years who by the way i "converted"..hows that for a kicker?..yep..wants nothing to do with me now...ANYWAYS...i just found this article on MSN's website and thought you may enjoy reading it... jen
    http://slate.msn.com/?id=2061166 jen

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

Welcome!

I too helped "bring in" some of my best friends - who now have nothing to do with me.

Have fun in life!

• gumby
    gumby

Hi jenleese: I have lost a great many friends including my best friend of 18 years who by the way i "converted"..

I lost an entire lifetime of friends and all my family except two sisters that were able to get out.

I't's too bad it happens this way. I hope you find some good friends and that you are happy.

I too have a whole family "in" that I "converted" and wish I could talk to them now.

Hope to hear more from you...take care

• Flip
    Flip

Jen'

Welcome aboard!

Interesting site, thanks!

My first thought on the BW article was, perhaps we would rather attribute radical life threatening behavior by individuals and groups to brainwashing than having to admit we're surrounded by more pathologically disingenuous aggressive individuals and corporations, religious or otherwise, who're leading the congenital, self-serving, cold-blooded follower, than we'd care to imagine.

At least if they're brainwashed maybe they can be 'fixed'.

Flip

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Hi Jen, A good thought provoking article. I don't believe science yet understands the mechanism involved in the brain that is referred to as brain washing. There is no doubt in my mind that something changes - the perception of reality is changed - no question. Of course it's only changed in regards to the belief system involved and the person can appear quite normal in other ways. That's what makes it difficult for researchers. Especially researchers who've never been on the receiving end of being "sucked in". I saw Larry King interview Patty Hearst a couple of days ago. Interesting. In a court of law I would let people off a crime if they used brainwashing as the extenuating circumstance. BUT only if they clearly demonstrated that they'd rejoined mainstream reality again.

Btw I "sucked in" my worldly boyfriend, my two brothers, one of my brother's girl friends and one of my girl friends at work. My little sister also ended up in coz of the pressure I put on my parents to get involved. They are all in still (20 yrs after I left) and they all shun me. All except the boyfriend who became my husband and we both woke up together.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

marilyn

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Whoops, correction: My parents don't shun me. They are "marked" in the congregation coz they don't shun me!

Marilyn

• gumby
    gumby

Marilyn: .......Are you serious about your folks being marked because they don't shun you? Please e-mail me if you can. I have a similar situation but no marking involved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit