Judas, why???

by dreamgolfer 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Why do JW's continually "trash" Judas for betraying Jesus?

Isn't it due to Jesus death that we all have the opportunity for salvation? I am not suggesting we treat Judas as a hero, but he was fortold to betray, Jesus knew it was going to happen and went along with it.

If Judas did not betray, what if Jesus was not put to death, where would we all be now?

It's one thing to be grateful for Jesus deat, but why condemn the fellow that helped move it along.

Do others struggle with that in all the talks and comments made over the years?

Thanks for your input

DG

USA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Judas fullfilled his role, nothing more and nothing less.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Yes, Judas had to be Judas for us to be able to benefit from Christ's ransom.

Jesus knew he would betray him and even ordered him to complete his task here at John 13:26, 27

26 Therefore Jesus answered: “It is that one to whom I shall give the morsel that I dip.” And so, having dipped the morsel, he took and gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Is·car´i·ot. 27 And after the morsel then Satan entered into the latter. Jesus, therefore, said to him: “What you are doing get done more quickly.”

Also the prophecies had to be fulfilled. See Acts 1:16

16 “Men, brothers, it was necessary for the scripture to be fulfilled, which the holy spirit spoke beforehand by David’s mouth about Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus,"

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Judas was the scapegoat. It was all planned and he accepted his role.

Read the gnostic gospels sometime for an interesting view of Judas.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

The gnostic Gospel of Judas is very interesting. Puts things in better perspective for me.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The Judas betrayal was actually a later addition to the story. The Judas stories (as the Gosepls contradict and represent various traditions) are a pastiche of OT legends of betrayal. Even the character name Judas (Hebrew Judah)is a leading charcter in the OT Joseph betrayal of Joseph (who is the OT template for many of the Jesus stories). At the same timethere is a very good possibility that the Judas/Judah character is also a bit of antisemetism linking the betrayal to Judah the people. ie. Jews.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I read a tome within the past year called Judas by a leading scholar. She also showed how his depiction in art changed through time. If Judas was destined to betray Jesus, was it even betrayl? Can God justly condemn someone not acting under free will.

I must say I did not read about the OT stuff in her book, which was exhaustive. Maybe 1,000 pages. It was historical and philosophical. The larger problem is when Judas the individual became a codeword for Jews. Jews were slaughtered for generations as a result.

It is not canonical by any means but The Last Temptation of Christ is probably my favorite book. Judas is the hero in the book. He prods Jesus to fulfill his destiny. It doesn't reveal any legitimatized understanding of Judas. Rather, it throws light on the tensions inherent in Judas' story. I have my own observation to offer. Usually, I just report what I've read. The Judas story seems a minor detail in the Gosepls. How many verses are devoted to Judas' infamy. Somehow if the apostles viewed his conduct as heinous I believe a larger fuss would be reported.

I feel so sorry for him! Jesus tells him to go ahead and do his act, which makes Jesus a co-conspirator. What if the story changed and they discussed why Judas might feel like betraying him but new light shone and thanks to Jesus' encouraging words, Judas does not act. No crucifixion that day at least. No resurrection. I grew up believing these ancients weren't as bright as modern people which is confusing technology with other things. Damned for all time! What a horrific rap for such a crucial actor. Why don't we sings hymns praising Judas?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I fully agree with you.....we would be doomed if he changed his mind and defended Jesus.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Judas was a zealot and as such, he was far more zealous than they other apostles, it was this zeal that drove him to "betray" Jesus because his zeal blinded him to the reality of what Jesus was preaching, the kingdom of God for ALL and not just for the Jesus.

There isn't really any major hate towards Judas in ACTS and it is perhaps the GOJ that pains him in the most unflattering of pictures, understandable since the writer cared deeply for Jesus and took Judas's betray very hard.

It is quite possible that Judas was indeed a "thief" and made liberal use of the "common purse", but we only have one writers view on that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This whole Judas as hero is modern, it seems. The Gnostics may have embaced him but they denied an actual death and resurrection. The problems with the account had to be obvious when they were written. I'd love to hear the oral tradition before it was formalized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit