Ah, those Englishmen or Great Music

by Sam Beli 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Ah, those Englishmen.

Attended a concert recently conducted by the noted Englishman Roger Norrington, Sir Roger that is. The first half was rather ho hum; good but not simulating. You know this type of music, mostly strings, a couple of horns and little else.

After the intermission he really got going. It was devoted entirely to Berlioz’s Symphonic fantastique, Op. 14. For this piece the orchestra grew to twice the pre-intermission size. The bass fiddles grew from 4 to 8; timpani were added – not one set but 2 sets of timpani, plus 2 bass drums, a snare drum and chimes. There were 2 harps, 2 tubas and the usual strings, but twice their previous number. An English horn and a piccolo were also added. The potential was there!

We were not disappointed. From magnificent solos on the English horn to grand runs on the harps to rousing features on the tubas to blaring blasts from the rest of the brass section to eerie sounds of those kettle drums and later there emphatic emphasis during critical moments and finally in the 5th movement where nothing is held back.

At the end of the 4th movement (which surpassed the climax of many symphonies) Sir Roger looked up at the ceiling as if to see if he had raised it a few feet. The audience, which had been politely quiet broke into laughter and began to applaud, even though applause normally is held until the end of the entire symphony.

During some eerie moments in the music (where witches are roaming about) he looked over his shoulder at the audience as if to say “see this is pretty good stuff.” I have never seen such a relaxed and casual conductor of a major symphony during a formal concert. He is now an older gentleman who probably doesn’t care if he offends a few. He made his excellent reputation years ago.

I hope to hear him again. It was a privilege to get briefly acquainted with this mans work (the things one has time for after quitting attendance at those dreadful meeting at the KH.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

No Englishmen or lovers of great music here?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks Sam

Sounds like a good experience. I will be checking out the composer and the piece.

SS

• Englishman
    Englishman

Sam

This is one Englishman who acknowledges that the Italians made the best music. Verdi every time for me.

Englishman. Va! Pensiero.

Hey! Now you are an outie, you can dance too!

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Verdi is unquestionably great. Sir Roger has conducted at La Scala, so I’m sure that Verdi is in his repertoire.

Puccini is hard to beat too.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit