WTBS questions education? Hmm...I wonder

by iamwhoiam 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Here is a great (very realistic) quote...

In 1914, John Alexander Smith, Professor of Moral Philosophy at Oxford, addressed the first session of his two-year lecture course as follows: “Gentlemen, you are now about to embark on a course of studies that (will) form a noble adventure…Let me make this clear to you…nothing that you will learn in the course of your studies will be of the slightest possible use to you in after life — save only this — that if you work hard and intelligently, you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole purpose of education.

So, is the WBTS afraid of people becoming educated?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

exactly! education helps you know if what you are being taugh is BS. Then the WTBS will loose power over you

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Yup, all those critical thinking skills are bad for the WTS.

• VM44
    VM44

This classic quote from The Watchtower is appropriate.

"In the world, there is a tendency to reject leadership. As one lecturer said: "The rising education level has improved the talent pool such that followers have become so critical that they are almost impossible to lead." But a spirit of independent thinking does not prevail in God's organization, and we have sound reasons for confidence in the men taking the lead among us." (The Watchtower, September 15, 1989, p. 23, §13)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VM44:

Reading their quote makes me angry. I especially despise the part that says: "...followers have become so critical that they are almost impossibleto lead...." What I have a problem with are people who PRESUME to lead and want mindless robots to follow them. Sorry, I never signed on to be a follower in an intrusive dictatorship. I was simply interested in end-time prophecy, nothing more.

People want to be free and that about sums it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit