We had our first day skiing! Now to buy some gear ...

by Simon 4 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

So, over the xmas / new-year break we finally got around to going for some skiing lessons (yeah, we've only been in Canada 4 years and in Calgary right on the doorstep of the Rockies). We went to Nakiska Ski Resort in Kananaskis which is about an hour West of Calgary

It was fantastic and the kids loved it too - we're already planning our next trip to practice what we learnt.

We're probably going to invest in some gear too but man, there is so much to learn - so many brands and variations on everything (skis, poles, boots, you name it).

It's probably better to rent for a while first (even though the rental part is a PITA) until we know what we need but the boots and stuff look so coool !!! LOL

Has anyone bought Ski equipment online? Looks like you can get some stuff way cheaper than in local stores but do you really really need to touch / try stuff?

• wobble
    wobble

Good luck Simon and family. I enjoyed a skiing holiday once, and have never made it since, I will do one day.

The most important thing to learn is, HOW TO STOP ! I would have gone over a cliff if I had not been taught that. Learning how to fall is good too, it doesn't hurt so much then.

I am sure you are all going to have loads of fun ! I hope others more expert on here can advise on the purchase of gear.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

It's great to hear your family had a wonderfull holiday skiing... definatly buy your own gear when you know what you need to get- cause then you will have go more often...

A belated MERRY XMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family Simon.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sounds like fun. Did you try snowboarding?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I would really recommend buying from a Pro shop Simon as apposed to buying on line, they will set you up with the appropriate skis

for your level of experience and style of skiing. Skis as you might know are designed with a specific style and usage, such as GS racing

or a carving mogul style and so on. I'd suggest getting a soft carving ski no longer than 165CM. in length to start out with, once your

abilities increase you can venture into getting a longer ski which usually creates more speed.

Have fun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit