The Watchtower are Right About Blood...

by cofty 556 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    a "Questions from readers" article in WT 15.04.83 dealing about that. There it is said that the situation described in Lev. 17:15 is only if an israelite erred "inadvertently", and ate a dead animal unbled. - Daniel1555

Thanks for raising this point. I remember when I first started researching this I felt relieved to see from the Index that the society had already dealt with this question. When I looked up the '83 WT and read their "answer" I was horrified. It is so clear that the context has nothing to do with accidentally eating unbled meat. I knew then that they had something to hide.

The context of the scripture is straightforward. It is a section about clean and unclean food. In addition to eating an animal that is not on the approved list there are two other circumstances related to food that could result in temporary unleanness - touching a "clean" animal that has died and eating a "clean" animal that was found "already dead".

The chapter has absolutely nothing at all to do with blood. It is simply about cleanness.

Imagine the dilemma of an Israelite farmer who goes out in the morning and finds one of his sheep has died during the night. It is physically impossible to bleed it. If he buries it he will be touching a dead body and will be unclean until the evening. If he eats it - including its blood - he will be unclean until the evening. Nobody gets cut-off in either case.

There are two other interesting references to eating an animal "found already dead" that show it had nothing to do with "inadvertently" eating blood.

There were a whole list of additional restrictions that applied only to the priests who served at the Tabernacle/Temple. for example they could not touch a dead body or eat an animal "found already dead". By naming this as something a priest was not allowed to do it shows that it was an option for non-priestly Israelites.

Secondly, Moses gives a lengthy speech to the nation in Deuteronomy following their 40 years in the wilderness. He encourages them to be a clean people and suggests that instead of eating an animal "found already dead" they sell it to a foreigner.

This shows that it was a matter of cleanness and not a universal law. If eating the blood of a dead animal was a transgression of the earlier Noachian law, it would have been immoral for them to entice anybody to eat the meat.

Hope that makes sense. Tomorrow I will look at Acts 15.

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks for all this info, Cofty. Appreciate your intellect and taking time for this critical subject as well as others' comments re/post. We need to understand this blood/transfusion topic to explain to JWs.

Can't wait for your Bible discussion.

• fukitol
    fukitol

Excellent article here makes similar points: www.jwsrefined.com

Quite simply, a blood transfusion cannot be wrong in God's eyes because the symbol that blood represents, ie, the lost soul or life, has not occurred.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Nice, fuk.
  • LV101
    LV101

Thanks for reference, fuk. Amazing the time we have to spend re/cult's lies about blood doctrine.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

cofty: If you are correct then websites like JWFacts are a complete waste of time and effort.

That doesn't follow and you know I don't believe JWFacts is a waste of time. There was nothing in my post that remotely implied such a thing.

Paul Grundy's site was very instrumental in my personal journey towards learning about the lies, hypocrisies and false doctrines of the WTBTS. I know many that have left the religion have felt the same way.

This forum serves a similar purpose.

But in all cases, it is only when a person is ready to confront their doubts and ask the hard questions.

In your OP you wrote:

I believe that if we are going to have any chance of reasoning with a JW about blood, this is the place we need to begin.

As I said previously, I think you raise some really good points. But this will only work if the particular JW we're trying to reach is ready to hear them.

Also, I think there are much easier subjects to broach the many problems with WT "theology" than this one. It is highly emotional for many people. Also, your arguments--although very strong--are (I believe) far too subtle for the average JW to contemplate.

All that being siad, I applaud your continued efforts to find ways to reason with JWs that are ready for the challenge of realizing their faith is a fraud.

Great thread!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Actually I think the blood issue is one of the best places to start. 1. It murders people 2. The evidence for witness policy is lacking 3. Witness policy has changed in recent years re: blood fractions 4. Most witnesses can be made to reason that blood fractions ARE blood and there's no difference. 4. Using blood fractions is USING blood
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Faye, if it works for you, then do it.

In my experience, which is supported by countless studies about human behavior and psychology, a person has a better chance of persuading someone else to change their mind about something which they strongly believe by starting with lower cost/less controversial subjects.

Oubliette

• cofty
    cofty

From my personal experience it was one of the first issues I investigated. I discussed my findings with a fellow elder and it led directly to his resignation, fade and permanent exit.

IMO this approach is very powerful.

Of course it won't work unless somebody either has some doubts already or they are one of the minority who actually care about truth.

I want to address the potential rebuttal regarding Acts 15 shortly.

Fukitol - Thanks for the link but IMO it is an example of an article about blood that misses the point. As a JW I could have rebutted it very easily. I will explain more of what I mean later.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    The blood doctrine is the first time I admitted to myself that the society was wrong about something. Saying it aloud took many years to be able to do, but I had considered it deeply in my late teens, and in my late thirties finally said out loud, 'no, I couldn't follow this. I couldn't let my daughter die', which was a big first step in turning away. After that first time, the other honest disagreements I had with doctrine and witness tradition were easier to admit to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit