The power of personal study?

by Slidin Fast 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The purpose of study, usually encouraged as personal, not bible study is supposedly to strengthen your faith and keep your thinking in line with Juhovaaah’s Organization.

Does it work?. My experience is, I do a bit of bible reading or read a WT article and a question pops in my mind. I go to wtlib and find ridiculous spin and tongue in cheek answers that stretch my credulity to breaking point. Here is an example. Yesterday’s text, read whilst sitting on the can. I nearly used it for wiping my ass.

Friday, December 31

Donot bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one.—Matt. 6:13.

How are we to understand these two related requests in Jesus’ model prayer? One thing is certain: Jehovah does not tempt us to commit sin. (Jas. 1:13) Satan—“the wicked one”—is the real “Tempter.” (Matt. 4:3) However, the Bible speaks of God as doing things that he is merely permitting. (Ruth 1:20, 21; Eccl. 11:5) Therefore, “do not bring us into temptation” is a petition that Jehovah not permit us to succumb when we are tempted to disobey him. Finally, the plea “deliver us from the wicked one” is a request that Jehovah not allow Satan to overcome us. And we can be confident that ‘God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.’—1 Cor. 10:13. w09 2/ 15 3:16

Comment so when the prayer clearly says "do not bring us into temptation" it doesn't mean that at all. Gosh, silly me!

The net result is exactly the opposite of that intended. I always end up with more questions than answers. I love “personal study, i really do.

Am I alone?

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I would advise you to be cautious when engaging in personal study. It can lead to apostacy, if not careful....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Every time I come across one of those "food at the proper time" articles from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, it just underscores what an oppressive tyrant Jehovah really is. Nothing more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit