The athiest awake

by keeshondgirl 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• keeshondgirl
    keeshondgirl

I recently found the Awake November 2010 issue on 'Is atheism on the march? At my mother in laws house. The first few sentences say "A new group of atheists has arisen in soceity. Called the new athiests, they are not content to keep their views to themselves. Rather , they are on a crusad, "actively, angrily, passionately trying to persuade the religious to their point of view," wrote columnist Richard Bernstein. In the yellow box when you open the page it says 'Some of the world's leading atheists are on a mission: They want to convert you to their way of thinking. But is their reasoning sound?

I personally have never seen an athiest at my door or handing out pamphlets and recording time. I myself don't go around telling people of my athiest views. I am keeping this article just in case a witness from the hall i went to stops over (yeah right).

Lets arrange the wording a little "A group of christians has arisen in soceity. Called the Jehovah witnesses, they are not content to keep their views to themselves. Rather, they are on a crusade, 'actively, angrily, passionately trying to persuade the religious to their point of view."

And: Jehovah witnesses are on a mission: They want to convert you to their way of thinking. But is their reasoning sound?

Thats more like it! haha!

• sd-7
    sd-7

Heh heh. I only briefly perused this article. Even the cover art is designed to elicit a negative emotion--an angry mob, painted in black and white, holding up protest signs. I suppose we should ban atheism, then? Is that it? While granting Witnesses full religious freedom? Right. Good luck with that topsy-turvy reasoning. Complaining about the freedom others have to spread their ideas is counterproductive to Witnesses in the long run. (Okay, so maybe it's not directly complaining about freedom itself, but rather the idea they disagree with, but I would argue that the complaint against the freedom to teach atheism is implied.) If that kind of reasoning is valid, then don't complain when people arrest JWs.

-sd-7

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

It is the height of hypocrisy...right up there with the quote from the July, 2009 Awake.

"No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."

The problem with having to publish information as God's mouthpiece month after month is that your going to royally slip up a few times a year and expose yourself as a hypocrite.

• bohm
    bohm

Yes, the irony of the article is hard to miss. The rest of the article is a real hackwork to!

• keeshondgirl
    keeshondgirl

Lost Generation: Thanks for that July 2009 quote. That is excellent proof of hypocrisy, I will have to find that article.

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

Oh yeah, this article was a doozy, eh?

Check out the following post/discussion over at Pharyngula:

The Jehovah's Witnesses redefine irony

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/the_jehovahs_witnesses_redefin.php

Lets arrange the wording a little "A group of christians has arisen in soceity. Called the Jehovah witnesses, they are not content to keep their views to themselves. Rather, they are on a crusade, 'actively, angrily, passionately trying to persuade the religious to their point of view."
    And: Jehovah witnesses are on a mission: They want to convert you to their way of thinking. But is their reasoning sound?
    Thats more like it! haha!

Agreed, keeshondgirl!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ha, ha, Keeshond Girl, you nailed it!!!

I'm going to check out Really Athena's link, too - thanks, Really Truly Athena!!

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

You're welcome, ziddina

I love PZ's quick retort:

That's right. The door-knockin', rabidly proselytizing cult is rebuking atheists for not keeping their views to themselves.

LOL

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They don't care how stupid what they write sounds. It's apparent they haven't for years. Why should we expect anything different? It's not like the R&F is questioning it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit