Judicial Matters and the "Repentance Scale"

by Hangin_on 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

An elder once said that a key thing they are trying to determine in a judicial committee is if the offender's "repentance level" matches the seriousness of their sin. For example if they committed fornication that is a serious sin (an 8 or 9). They want to see the offender showing a repentance level of 8 or 9. (crying, sobbing, very distraught)

All of the above is quoted from what the elder said.

This isn't found in the Pay Attention to Yourselves book, but I have heard it before. It doesn't really make sense to me, what are your thoughts?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

according to the bible, who can read hearts?

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

I agree.... my thoughts on this procedure is that it was trickled down from one of the "heavys" at bethel thru the "elder school" it's one of those things... this is what's in print but this is what we do!

• behemot
    behemot

Hanging-on,

although the "repentance scale" does not appear in print in the exact terms the elder said, the elders' manual contains the principle of a repentance "commensurate" to the gravity of the sin:

The extent to which the person deviates from righteousness may be major or minor, and logically the degree of regret (repentance) ought
    to be commensurate with the degree of deviation. - KS 2010, Ch. 7, p. 90
    ... an individual may have gone so far into sin that he may not be able to demonstrate sufficient repentance to the judicial committee ... - KS 2010, Ch. 7, p. 91
  • GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Hmmm, what about people who don't cry easily? Or those who struggle to contain themselves to help preserve their dignity?

On the other hand, what about those who cry during commercials? At the drop of a hat.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

• clarity
    clarity

Hangin On,

My repentance level would be between 0 & Brazen!!!

c

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit