Blood transfusion policy 1916 - 1945

by overlapmyass 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• overlapmyass
    overlapmyass

The technique of transfusing blood was mastered in the year 1916, but Jehovah God chose to give "increased light" to the Governing Body re transfusions in 1945 (July 1st Watchtower). If giving and receiving blood is such a terrible offence to God why didn't He enlighten us in 1916? Why wait 29 years? Does anyone have any Witness literature re blood transfusions prior to 1945? I've seen one pro-transfusion article in a 1940 "Consolation" but surely there has to be more than that?

PS If your child needs a blood transfusion to survive and you refuse permission, and then he dies.... how is that not murder?!

• AnnOMaly
  • TD
    TD

The first negative comment actually appeared in 1944, but both the 1944 and 1945 statements were pretty oblique. I doubt if very many people made the connection.

When it comes to the lack of statements prior to this, I think a closely related question would be, "Why would a religious organization need to comment on medical procedures at all?" Transfusion was simply not an issue until the Witnesses made it one.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

A 1940 pro-transfusion Consolation article?? I'd love to see that but I'm sceptical it exists.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

When it comes to the lack of statements prior to this, I think a closely related question would be, "Why would a religious organization need to comment on medical procedures at all?" Transfusion was simply not an issue until the Witnesses made it one.

I realize the question is rhetorical but I just gotta answer: Control. An organization needs rules to enforce if it wants more complete control over its members. It also sets them apart as different, and an us-versus-them mentality is crucial for a mind control cult.

• TD
    TD
    A 1940 pro-transfusion Consolation article?? I'd love to see that but I'm sceptical it exists.

Stranger than fiction A doctor who donated some of his own blood in an emergency was indirectly praised. Chasson posted a pdf of it about three years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit