JW Funeral experiences / suggestions ?

by man in black 8 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

I just read in the paper today that an elderly man who was off - on as a witness recently died.

I was friends with his kids back in the 70's, so I am considering going to the memorial. It will be on New Years day.

Since I am DA'ed, and have not been inside a KH for around two years, what kind of reaction should I expect ?

I am well aware of the shunning, but will I be treated like a criminal once I step inside ? Would approaching his adult kids and offering condolences

be accepted or is even this human emotion tightly controlled by the elders ? I really don't know the status of his kids inside this religion at all.

Thank you in advance for any comments / suggestions.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't think you can go wrong by being kind, loving, and human. If someone else doesn't like it, screw 'em.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I'd say go and give your condolences to his kids.

• bite me
    bite me

I think it will be nice for you to go. Don't worry about what others think.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When my father died, many people purchased mass cards. My family was scandalized but acknowledged the well-meaning thought. The cards were discarded asap. The other end of the spectrum also existed. Close friends sent me no condolences when my father died b/c we were Witnesses. Even Witnesses are human. I'd rather have someone act gracious and warm towards me.

Doing what is right should have its own reward. It sounds like a class act to me.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I don't know. It might not go well...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Witnesses will treat you like you are a vampire in their midst, no doubt. One who is Da'd might get worse treatment than one Df'd, though it is largely the same these days.

Go! Show love and compassion to the family. Let the chips fall where they might.

Jeff

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

Go on and go! Give those kids the condolences they need. I'm sorry they lost there father

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

I agree with MadSweeny...............go, hold your head up high, be a kind, loving, Christian and pay your respects to the family, even if some scowl.

The family will not be able to do anything but remember that act of love until they die. Love is rarely shown in the congregation. Its all about rules and regulations. Do what comes natural.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit