1932-1971 how was the congregation run?

by pirata 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pirata
    pirata

The arrangement for Body of Elders and deacons / minsisterial servants existed pre-1932 (democratically elected) and post-1971 ("theocratically" appointed).

Are there any here who remembers how things were run from 1932-1971? I see mention of the "Congregation Overseer" and a committee of men to carry out his instructions, but not too clear on much beyond this. Did the congregatino overseer pretty much run the show and make all the decisions? Did the position rotate?

• Giordano
    Giordano

Back in the late 1950's to about 1967 or so we had as best as I can recollect: The District servant, the circuit servant, At the congo level, the presiding minister, the assistant presiding minister, the bible study servant, that was your committee, the ministry school servant, the book study servant, the book and magazine servant (I think that one was called something else). We were just looney with servants.

Maybe someone else will recall some of those titles. "Did the congregation overseer pretty much run the show and make all the decisions? Did the position rotate?"

Yes, the presiding minister called the shots and his position did not rotate. I remember how disappointed my brother-in-law was when the Elder arrangement started. He'd been top dog for a decade, that was His congregation! LOL

• St George of England
    St George of England

Congregation Servant

Assistant Congregation Servant

Watchtower Study Conductor

Ministry School Servant

Magazine/Territory Servant

Literature Servant

Accounts Servant

Bible Study Servant

Group Study Conductor(s)

Of course when the elder arrangement started the elders used to rotate on an annual basis so no-one was top dog for more than a year. A gracious provision from Jehovah that was chopped after a few years!

George

• St George of England
    St George of England

In the smaller congregations most of us had to do more than the one job!

George

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Just my observation--in our area. When they started the elder arrangement, more men became interested in becoming witnesses as that gave them the chance to attain a position of importance. Often, UBM's decided to join their wives at the KH. I felt that after the elder arrangement started, the ratio of men to women increased quite a bit--although they were still in the minority.

My father was one of those men. He managed to work his way up to elder although to this day I don't see how he qualified.

• Watchtowers Witnesses
    Watchtowers Witnesses

During that time period what was the policy on shunning? Was it possible to walk away from the sect with less repercussions than there is today?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Asked and answered. Read the archives.

Farkel

• pirata
    pirata

Thanks All!

Farkel, are you referring to the "Best of" section? I should read through those one day...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit