My brother's anniversary (*spoiler warning)

by lauralisa 5 Replies latest jw friends

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

I posted this previously. Tonight is the anniversary of his suicide. Sorry to any who are unduly provoked. I am very sad tonight.

My brother's name was Paul.

When I found the "truth", I told someone I knew very intimately about what I had learned. He lived in another state, but he was sufficiently intrigued so as to seek out the local kingdom hall in his area.

He was battling with excruciating depression, alcoholism, addiction to cocaine (free-basing was then the "new" thing; this was way before crack).

Within a few months of his intitiating a bible study, he was convinced. He attended all of the meetings, he changed jobs (a good thing: his employment was very "enabling"), he broke up with his girlfriend, he slowly stopped associating with all of his "bad" friends. He sold his stereo equipment to pay his old drug debts.

He had just become a publisher. He was having a difficult time making ends meet with the markedly reduced income resulting from his job change, and he was extremely lonely. He was a 27 year old man with no relatives within the congregation, and was finding his new lifestyle spiritually and intellectually rewarding, but replete with gaping holes in terms of a social structure. There was no one, NO ONE, in his immediate area, who was able to relate to him or assist him in this unfathomable transition. He was discouraged from the study conductor and local elders from participating in any 12 step programs.

I kept in constant touch with him, encouraging him, reinforcing the pearls of 'truth' he was embracing, supporting him in his lonliness, relating my own difficulties and sharing my own newly-found "scriptural" reasoning to continue fighting.

He was supposedly very close to baptism, and I was so thrilled. I mean it. I was so proud of his integrity and self-control; it seemed like there was so much evidence of "god's power" working in all of this. It reinforced my own faith. Not many people can pull off what he did; it reflected incredible courage and strength, the way he withdrew from the things in his life that had sustained him through incredible pain... but these very things, we reasoned, kept him from achieving an "approved" status with god.

Not long later, he filled up the back seat of his car with as many individual gallons of gasoline that his back seat would hold. He chose a good time: 4:30 am.... not many people on the highway at that time. He drove directly along a perfectly planned route, smashed his car into a telephone pole, resulting in it rolling down an embankment, where it exploded into flames. One witness gave a florid description of what they had seen. There was very little collateral damage, but his body was burned such that they had to identify him by dental records.

He was my brother. He was only 27.

• waiting
    waiting

((((((((((((hey sweetpea)))))))))))))).

ain't life grand sometimes? I'm so sorry about your brother - such a sweet, young age to end one's life.

I doubt if anyone will ever know the reasons exactly why - they died with him. I think some people are rather destined to end their own lives early. It's just that the average or good things put it off for a while.

Like a fat person staying thin for as long as possible - sometimes it just catches up. Destiny? Perhaps. I really don't know - but I think the aftermath on family members is horrific.

Anyway - my hugs to you, and good thoughts - as you've survived, and bring much joy and comprehension to others.

Take a bow......you deserve it, babe.

waiting

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

So sad to hear of this, Laura. Suicide is such a permanent end to what is usually such a temporary problem. The pain and suffering of those left behind is unimagineable.

My heart truly goes out to you.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• outnfree
    outnfree

27 on the 27th, eh, lauralisa?

I'm so sorry to read this sorrowful story for the first time. Suicide is an awful, awful thing. I have a brother who has had his troubles with drugs and also has attempted suicide. I often wonder (still) which may kill him first. Perhaps your brother was one of those people who seem to feel so deeply that life's ups and downs just become mountains and valleys, making it difficult for them to keep their footing.

Paul was lucky to have you, I'm sure. I know I am struck by your warmth every time I read one of your posts.

((((((Lauralisa))))))))

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

LauraLisa, Thank you for sharing your brother's story. My heart goes out to you. Words seem so futile. We do not know the pain until we have lived it...nor can we fully understand. But we can let others know that we care. God bless you.

• rob
    rob

Feb. 6 will be the 11th anniversary of my brother's suicide also at the age of 27. He was my only sibling. Suicides have become so prevalent in the borg that my parents run sort of an eastern US suicide "support group," all within the organization, of course. I'm so sorry that you have ahd to experience this also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit