'Inception' raises some interesting thoughts/questions

by sd-7 8 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I know I am awfully late in having seen 'Inception' for the first time on Saturday night, but, I saw it. For the first time. On Saturday night. Excellent film, definitely worth watching again. I made the mistake of returning it rather than watching it with my wife (I just rented it while I washed clothes at my parents' house). She expressed no interest when I described the plot to her, so I just figured...why bother? Unfortunately, when 'The Other Guys' had too many dirty jokes and she (and I) wanted to stop watching (though in my case it was just because I thought they went past funny and just went to either stupid or strange or disgusting), we were lacking in entertainment awesomeness.

Preamble aside, I couldn't help thinking of the interesting themes explored in this film. Especially the thought that an idea, once it is formed in your head, be it consciously or unconsciously, it can be either profound, or disastrous. But once it's there, it just...spreads like wildfire until it consumes you, if it's an idea that's powerful enough. It makes me think...was the idea that I was in a cult already there, long before I started doubting/questioning/researching? Did I already believe I was in a dream? Did I think perhaps that...metaphorically speaking, the top SHOULD stop spinning?

'Inception' also made me think about the flip side, about...why people are able to be controlled by the WT Society in the first place. I'm certainly not suggesting that the Society has used inception, except...that's exactly I'm suggesting. Not so much by entering people's dreams as done in that movie, but...isn't it quite evident, for those of us now in the 'conscious class' and ex-JWs, that ideas were indeed implanted into our minds without us being consciously aware of them? But for us, perhaps our minds were aware that a foreign idea, an idea not originally ours, was present, and although some of us might've taken longer than others to respond, to expel those ideas, we did indeed respond. For us, the Society's brand of inception failed. What they wanted us to do was something we knew was not what WE really wanted to do.

I guess you could say that we failed to "make the truth our own". Ha ha. And that expression really is a very significant one, isn't it? Make the truth your own. Be a true believer. Don't have your own ideas when it comes to spirituality, Biblical understandings, conduct, dress, grooming, personal decisions. Eliminate any notion of your own ideas about anything important--and even things that aren't so important.

And how did they do it? They came to your literal door, in many cases, appearing to be your friend, trying to protect you from evil forces that were intruding on your mind. You trusted them, and led them to your deepest secrets, told them everything they needed to know. Then they replaced your ideas and your plans with their ideas and their plans. And...it wasn't until you woke up that you realized you were dreaming. Did you remember how you got to where you were? Well, in this case, of course you did, as it wasn't a dream in that sense.

Some people stayed in the dream to wake up those who were still sleeping. Knowing that it wasn't real, yet staying in it for the sake of others, that must be horrible. To know that the top should stop spinning, yet it doesn't. But unlike in a dream, you're not even the one who gets to build the world you live in. The Society builds your home, and the road you travel on can change at any second without any real explanation.

And...some people can't deal with knowing that it's not real. Waking up for them...is too much, sometimes...they feel that they need to die in order to wake up. Metaphorically, I think that's true. I know I died before I woke up about this religion. And...it is addictive, in its own way. If you've been there forever, it's easier to dream. Hard to know that you will grow old and die, like everyone else.

Wow. There are some interesting parallels. Man, I love that movie! I think it was an excellent cast and...such a mind-bending experience. Anyone else see the parallels? I am curious, since you folks seem awfully brainy and all, to hear your thoughts.

--sd-7

P.S. The top did not stop spinning, in my opinion. He just imagined that he escaped. No top can spin for that long....no way. I'd be curious to see what Christopher Nolan would do if he ever revisited this story, though. I hear they're going to do a video game, but probably not another film anytime soon. Neat...

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

never saw the film i'll put it on my netflix

• TD
    TD

SD-7

I'm another late watcher. (I like to watch movies over and over, so I usually wait for the Blu-ray/DVD instead of going to the theater.)

I can't make my mind up about the ending. On one hand, the children don't appear to have aged at all. On the other hand though, their clothing is slightly different and Cobb's wedding ring is now gone. You can also definitely see the series of harmonic wobbles a spinning object develops as it starts to slow down and fall. The last split second you see the totem is pretty much the last split second it would have stayed upright.

The JW's I know who are sci-fi fans and movie watchers have their own take on films like this and it is the exact opposite --That they are the ones who are not controlled and everyone else in the "World" is.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

TD Said - The JW's I know who are sci-fi fans and movie watchers have their own take on films like this and it is the exact opposite --That they are the ones who are not controlled and everyone else in the "World" is.

I agree. I remember I saw the Matrix as a believing JW at the time, and I thought JWs were the ones who knew the truth and that the rest of the world was in a matrix like state. Controlled by Satan of course.

The one thing that resonates with me the most in Inception, is that an idea that one believes he discovers on his own - sticks better than one that appears to be planted. Many on this forum want to almost force their JW family members to look into all the discoveries made about the org: it's history, doctrines, changes, etc. However, most discover that rarely works - and actually could have the opposite effect.

In the movie Inception, they had to go deep into the subject's mind and were never 100% certain what he would find in the vault. They had to learn about his background and emotional makeup and then put him in a situation that would lead him to his own realization.

I think the best way to help JWs is to go about in a similar manner. For me, I never went online to apostate sites nor read CoC nor did anything else JWs were warned against. The idea I discovered on my own came from going about my life as a good JW and trying to give an informal witness. My potential convert brought up a point that the WT could not refute - at least not logically.

So, I've learned to use that experience to potentially help my loved ones come to a realization in a similar manner. It takes time. You have to architect their environment. For example, if it's your wife, you may have to slowly build up a new social network for her outside of the JWs. Or you may have to step it up as a father and get real extra involved with the children and their school activities - more so than you were when you were a JW. Basically create a new environment, that is very real, pleasant, and quite the opposite of what the JWs tell you life is like outside of their world.

You have to study them and learn what makes them tick. It may not be the same thing that it was for you or me. Perhaps it's more emotional. But whatever it is, they should make the ultimate discovery themselves.

• TheListener
    TheListener

In the movie credits there are two sets of children. If you look the actors up one set is older than the other(first set is young; last set is older)

. Their clothes may have been similar but they weren't the same kids or same age.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I only watched it for the first time this week. It deserves another viewing I think. I enjoyed it a lot.

• sherah
    sherah

I'll definately watch and comeback with my observations.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

The dream, to be believable, must let the kids age. The part of the mind generating the dream knows that kids age, so they do.

Watch the top at the end. Do you notice a recurring behavior, like the same bit of film played over and over? I'm not sure, but that may be a clue.

The key to inception is not implanting the idea - it is making the dreamer *think it is his own original thought*. From that perspective, making people believe they "chose to believe" gives a good corollary. In many cases, people are brainwashed or born in making the "choice" a rather blurry one.

But once it's there, it just...spreads like wildfire until it consumes you, if it's an idea that's powerful enough.

Only for an undisciplined mind (and most are that). I agree, though, that the mind is a fertile landscape for all manner of odd thoughts!

• jj123jj123
    jj123jj123

I really like some of the lines in the film...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/quotes

Cobb: [from trailer] Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.

Cobb: What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

Cobb: Eventually, She tells me the truth that she was possessed by an idea, just one simple idea that changed everything, that our world wasn't real and in order to get back to the reality, We'll have to kill ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit