First Post and Using the memorial to wake up family members

by dgeero 30 Replies latest jw friends

• dgeero
    dgeero

Giodoano, Yes my father was an elder for almost a decade. He stepped down a few years back because he didn't feel he was out in service enough and he did not like being on judicial committees. I've shown my parent a lot of the pedophile cases, the UN debacle you name it. Their response to the congregations not being warned about pedophiles is that they don't think any other religion warns their members either and the society would probably open themselves up to litigation for slandering someone in the hall similar to how they don't announce reasons for DFing. They think it is sufficient if the elders play policeman and make sure the abuser isn't around children. Yeah because that really works out well

Billy great illustration I got a laugh out of that one though it really isn't that funny its sad.
  • flipper
    flipper
    DGREEO- Nice to have you here hope things work out for your family as well. You are among friends here who will show you support. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • pbrow
    pbrow

The fact that you have weekly conversations is a big deal. Do not feel like you have to force anything. If you are able to converse with them on a regular basis, they will get out in their own time. Share with them what you are learning, the old "jehovah" calendar, the anti-disfellowshipping awake, the un story and all the other strange small topics that start to pick up steam after a while.

You cannot control what others do but do not allow them to shun you. Simple as that.

pbrow

• Simon
    Simon

Welcome to the forum. Your situation sounds a lot like mine was.

Unfortunately, while you can prove the truth about the truth it really doesn't make any difference to many current JWs. They are not there because it makes logical sense. No follower of any religion is there because it makes sense because the sci-fi stories of super-beings creating and then impregnating earth women and sacrificing themselves, coming back to life and having cosmic battles are utterly ridiculous.

People wake up in their own time when events touch them. It's often best not to try and push things too far, too fast as sometimes that forces the issue and they revert to their instinctive safe choice of following the WTS which can mean shunning and exclusion.

Try to keep communication open and don't feel that you need to convert people immediately. By all means tell people the truth if they are willing to listen but let them make their own choice, hopefully more informed based on your information.

• dgeero
    dgeero

Thanks you all for the words of encouragement and suggestions.

So I decided to go to the memorial and I'm glad I did as I was able to pick up on some point that I brought to the attention of my wife and they seemed to have some effect.

• pbrow
    pbrow

dgeero.... That is excellent. The worst enemy of the society is the society. The memorial is one of my ex-wife's "holidays" for our placement schedule. Every year I tell my girls "What does jesus tell you to do with the wine and bread and what do the elders tell you to do with the wine and bread" they are both early teens and this has had a huge influence on them. Use whatever you can.... Good luck

pbrow

• steve2
    steve2
    dgeero, welcome. You sound far too sensible and rational to have survived as an active JW - that's a compliment! It speaks well of you and your family environment that your marriage is good and your relationship with your JW mother continues!
  • jhine
    jhine

Brilliant ,Vanderhoven 7

Jan

• dgeero
    dgeero

Edit: I have tried to post my experience twice but it keeps getting cut off and not saving.

I pointed out the scripture in 1 cor that says to keep observing until the lord comes or words to that affect. After the program my wife says why are we still observing if christ came in 1919. How many times is jesus coming? She said that teaching doesn't really make sense. The wheels are turning. I also asked he if she thought it was odd the speaker didn't read or cite a scripture when stating the bible teaches 2 classes of christians. She agreed it was. I believe there was only 3 maybe 4 scriptures in the whole talk. In general the JWs don't really use their bible unless it's to selectively support doctrine.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks for your story.

I helped my daughter get out when we were facing injustices. I told he she could think for herself and I didn't want her to have any regrets and I didn't want her to end up like the miserable middle aged single sisters in the cong.

She got the message and left, saw through all the injustices, and knows it's a cult. But she has never read COC or jwfacts.com.

She has told her story on this site though

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit