First Post and Using the memorial to wake up family members

by dgeero 30 Replies latest jw friends

• dgeero
    dgeero

Hello all! This is my first post here though I've been a long time lurker. My story in a nutshell:

Started having doubts after the new silver sword and Watchtower study regarding overlapping generations. Started researching "evil" sites like jwfacts, read both of Ray Franz books, read Gentile Times Reconsidered. I haven't been to a meeting since last memorial when I was already mentally out. My wife is also now inactive though she has not woken up to the truth about the truth. I believe it's only a matter of time. Our marriage is surprisingly good though talking about "the truth" is still a sensitive subject. I have weekly "debates" with my JW mother on various topics. Neither my wife or JW family have reported me to the elders for "apostasy" because deep down I know they think it's wrong to treat a family member that way. And my parent are still trying to "get me to return to Jehovah". My dad says he read part of COC and he saw what I was saying about a lot of things but both parents can't see how this isn't Jehovahs org.

Has anyone had any success witnessing to their relatives or others regarding the memorial? Does anyone have a good strategy to show how in their own bible their ritual is a rejection of the christ they claim to follow and if they are true christians they would partake? Any scriptures or reasoning point would be helpful!

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose
    Welcome to this fun forum!
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell
    Welcome to the forum dgeero
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Welcome to the forum DGeero.

I personally don't think the memorial as practiced by the JWS is a good selective part of the JW faith to show how inalienably wrong this religion is in general.

The acceptance that some will go on to heaven with Christ and some will live on here on earth is a tangible concept from a theological viewpoint.

Although millions of practicing Catholics have been doing this for centuries.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Welcome! You can use the "Criteria for Truth" to reason with your family.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/275576/active-jws-can-you-defend-truth

If any religious organization's "ideas" do not meet the criteria, does a "religious leader" have the right to persecute you for not believing the "idea"? Does GOD approve of them doing so??

DD

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

The memorial as laid out in scriptures is nothing like the witness memorial. They actively REJECT the salvation of Christ by passing the plate and not partaking. I disagree with finkelstein on this one and believe that the witness memorial is NOT biblically sound. The whole 'other sheep' thing is insane. The little flock Jesus was speaking of is the Jews, the other sheep, and great crowd, are Gentiles. But everyone who believes in the salvation of Jesus partakes!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Welcome, I tried and it blew up in my face, i have a very tight knit jw family and I would venture to say they have gone full blown super conservative. Yours sound more liberal.
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I'd be very careful using the meh-morial to try to wake them up.

Remember, this is their Christmas, Easter, birthday, Halloween, New Years, and every thing else all wrapped into one. Yeah, pretty damn pathetic, but it is what it is.

Let them have their day, find other methods.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Not to meaning to kick a dead horse but haven't the 144,000 were already chosen by reading the bible.

Revelation 7, (Text verse 14)

7 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” 4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

5 From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed,
    from the tribe of Reuben 12,000,
    from the tribe of Gad 12,000,
    6 from the tribe of Asher 12,000,
    from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000,
    from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000,
    7 from the tribe of Simeon 12,000,
    from the tribe of Levi 12,000,
    from the tribe of Issachar 12,000,
    8 from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000,
    from the tribe of Joseph 12,000,
    from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Welcome!

It's hard to talk openly and honesty with someone until they are ready.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit