How many times have you studied a paraphrased version of Adam and Eve?

by sabastious 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

It seems like at least once a month the Watchtower is explaining Original Sin.

I believe that it is specifcially this story that is used to turn WT kids into eventual mindless drones. They are constantly told that they are worth nothing because of Eve's mistake. I always felt so powerless because it happened so long ago and we are still feeling the effects. I always felt guilty for her actions too. She was my mother that screwed us all over, it was my fault.

All growing up I would have many a conversation about what would have happened if Adam and Eve would have "done the right thing" whatever that means.

"Life would be so much better... if they just wouldn't have eaten the fruit."

It's a weird pseudo-martyr position.

The psychology of growing up a Witness is as fascinating as it is disturbing.

-Sab

• Terry
    Terry

The Watchtower version of what happened in the Garden of Eden and the whole movie-style scenario of the Fall of Man comes directly out of Adventist writings of Ellen White. She is the one who made Eden the beginning of a great saga.

With few changes you'll see what I mean:

The Great Controversy: Chapter 1. The Fall of Satan
    The Great Controversy, by Ellen G. White, [1858], at sacred-texts.com ...CHAPTER 1. The Fall of Satan. The Lord has shown me that Satan was once an honored ...
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Interesting. The protestant churches i went to paid little attention to this story. It seems, the catholic, even less.

S

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Sacred Texts is a good site. I read the Books of Adam & Eve there. Interesting stuff.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Eve's mistake.

&%@$# Adam ate the damn apple too!

(PROVISIO 1: I know that it wasn't an apple; but it sounds better for dramatic effect)
    (PROVISIO 2: I know it's a $%&@ myth and not real life)
  • sabastious
    sabastious
    &%@$# Adam ate the damn apple too!

Yeah but Eve must have used her womenly figure to convince him to eat it

-Sab

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Maybe she promised him so oral action?

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Yet what's always puzzled me is how smoothly Eve is simply dropped out of the conversation when it comes to the corresponding sacrifice. In all the JW literature, it's Adam that brought on sin and imperfection to all humanity and that's why it takes a perfect man to redeem everyone. Jesus is supposed to correspond to the perfect Adam in buying back the imperfect human race but didn't it take TWO people to create the imperfect human race? So if Adam's mistake is redeemed by Jesus, that's only half of the story. Who redeems Eve's mistake?

I suspect a little digging would reveal that this idea is a reflection of the underlying belief in the woman being a mere incubator and life actually originating with the man... What's funny is that JWs use the idea of heredity to explain how sin and imperfection spread, conveniently overlooking the role of the female.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Cadellin to further your point, check out this scripture:

1 Timothy 2:11-15 - 11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit