They Have Left Jehovah's Service

by Defender 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Defender
    Defender

This is the standard accusation placed on those that were stumbled by the countless failed date settings of the Society. It happened right after 1914, after 1925, after 1975 and is gradually happening since 1995 after the 1914 Generation failed. Since 1995, every year now on average, there are close to 200,000 that are leaving the Society. Multiply 200,000 by 6 years (since 1995) and we have approximately 1,200,000 that have abandoned “true worship” in the past six years alone. Admittedly, not all those that leave are victims of stumbling, but they do represent a large percentage.

After every failed date setting, the Society consistently laid blame not on itself for having brought forth such speculations, but rather on the ‘rank and file’ for placing too much expectations on these dates.

It’s like a parent who promises to take his children to the park on the weekend. Every day of the week before, he keeps talking about the weekend and the park and all the fun they are going to have. Then the weekend comes and the parent for some reason reneges on his promise. Instead of apologizing and providing some reasonable excuse, the parent chastises his children and tells them that they had expected way too much, that he never promised to take them to the park, rather he hinted he might, and that they better adjust their thinking.

Imagine this parent continues to replicate the above scenario time and again, and you get the idea why a number of the “rank and file” abandons “true worship”.

What is really more serious though is the way the Society expects those that had left to actually come back.

The other day, I had a casual conversation with an elder from my hall and I presented to him what the Society wrote about 1914, 1925, 1975 and the Generation and what the Society wrote after the failure of these dates. I also talked about the adverse results for those that had stumbled and gone away. He replied and I know that this is how the Society thinks by saying: “Well! Where are they now? Why did they not come back? They have gone because they did not have true love for Jehovah and the truth” and so on.

I really do not know how after having disappointed its followers’ time after time, the Society, expects those that have gone to actually come back. Now, this is surely an undue expectation on part of the Society and it better adjust its thinking on this matter.

That elder further mentioned that Jesus had said that there is going to be stumbling.
    I agreed wholeheartedly, and mentioned that Jesus, at the same time, gave a stark warning to those that are responsible for causing such stumbling.

There is a contradiction here. How can the Society be the only faithful and discreet slave giving out spiritual food at the due time and thus receive the praise of the Master and at the same time, be responsible in stumbling hundreds of thousands, if not millions, and thus be worthy of having a millstone tied to its head and thrown into the water?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Defender,

So, the question is: "Are you faithful?"

• terafera
    terafera

Defender, good post. The analogy of a parent that keeps changing it's word... perfect! I know how frustrating it would be...

• Mollie
    Mollie

I appreciate this post as well. I have been out of "the truth" going on 10 years now. It wasn't for any other reason than I could not stand to be married to my husband anymore (he was/is a witness, now a elder). Anywho, I have difficulty still in managing my thoughts as to whether this is the right religion or not. I still believe alot of their teachings and some I don't. But I don't believe in the way they judge people. I always had a problem with that, even before I was disfellowshipped. I don't feel it follows Jesus example. I have read the accounts of brother/sisters especially in 1975 who sold everything they had, cashed in life insurance policies, etc. to full time pioneer. Only to be disappointed and left pretty much with nothing financially. I don't understand why the society keeps trying to predict a time when the Bible specifically states that no man can determine the time/date. Obviously, they do, so when they are wrong, why don't they step up to the plate and take responsibility, the same way they make their flock do, only to disfellowship and not encourage.

• cornish
    cornish

Left,Uhum,True Worship?

• Focus
    Focus
    So, the question is: "Are you faithful?"

No.

It is: "Isn't 'Mother' a lying bitch?"

--
    Focus
    (And the answer to that is: YES! Class)

• anewperson
    anewperson

One group providing spiritual food and respect for Jah and His Christ is called the Christians or more descriptively JAH CHRISTIANS. Many in the Free Christians movement of which the Jah Christians are part are nontrinitarian, look forward to earth becoming paradise on which some are resurrected though others are resurrected to heaven, use any acceptable form of the divine name but ditch the rigid chronology stuff, note Christ says put Mercy over Sacrifice as with the blood thing. So your elder is ignorant, maybe a nice-seeming guy but ignorant. Write jahchristian at yahoo.com for a free subscription to the newsletter, Free Christians News. Visit the website:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian/pending

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Mollie,

You stated:
    "I don't understand why the society keeps trying to predict a time when the Bible specifically states that no man can determine the time/date."

I have read books on mind control techniques and this is just another way to keep the membership in check. They are using fear tactics and even myself still to this day have some guilt feelings about what the WT told me. I was raised as a JW and because of their early mind control, it will always be somewhat with me for the rest of my life. I just have to find others that can understand what I have gone through to appreciate where I have been. I once posed that question to an elder about the 1975 failed prediction and I was surprised he admitted it and said "well we did make mistakes". I responded by saying "What does that do to a person faith and confidence in that organization?"

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit