The Military Book Club - true mom and apple pie?

by expatbrit 1 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I received in the mail and invite to join the Military Book Club, together with a sample catalogue ("take 19,568 books for 3 cents, then just buy 1 more book in the next 568 years!").

It is, of course, an American book club, with the consequent fixation on American military exploits throughout history. They include a small section for Canadians ("was Canada really a haven for Nazi war criminals" etc etc), and have a strange fixation on the SAS.

Following are some excerpts from the catalogue, with my nasty comments at the expense of Americans in blue.

Guns Illustrated 2002
    Photos of thousands of guns fill the pages of this incredible book. Get all the specs and prices of rifles, handguns, ammo and more, plus reviews, directory of manufacturers and the famous, easy to use Gundex(r)!

Gun Digest 2002
    3,000 firearms are detailed here.... including up-to-date product reports, designs, test results, optics, ammo, ballistics, accesories, prices and more! Plus, in-depth articles, opinions, and test-firing data.
    "The Yankyman Splatmaster demonstrates the ability to penetrate even the most tightly wrapped turban at 300 yards!"

AR-15/M16 Sourcebook
    What every shooter needs to know about the weapon that revolutionized the US infantry. Covers everything from cleaning and troubleshooting to variations, accesories and operation.
    Make sure you clean it properly. You wouldn't want it to jam while wasting the pinko liberals at the local university.

Silent Warrior
    You've read Marine Sniper; now learn the rest of the story. This riveting book takes you to 'Nam, with the Corps' best shooter, Carlos Hathcock. Spot for him as he takes out some sadistic VC torturers...among many others.
    Those damn gooks! Napalm was just another name for justice! Make sure you say "'Nam" for maximum shooter-cred.

The Military Book Club's Survival Handbook
    These Special Forces techniques can make the difference between life and death. If you can't bring this book into danger, read it before you leave home.Drawings and charts.
    Don't go to the mall without reading this book!

The Elite Forces Handbook of Unarmed Combat
    See how special forces use their fists as deadly weapons, as well as complex moves, such as leaping from cover, grabbing an enemy and snapping his neck in seconds flat. Photos and diagrams show all the moves.
    "Special section: using the techniques to get that parking space at the mall."

The History of Torture and Execution
    Torture and sadistic forms of execution date back thousands of years...and still go on today. Here's how criminals and enemies of the state are punished.
    Interesting how victims of torture are categorised.

Sniper
    Learn the art of sniping from a man who trains snipers. Everything from camouflage and concealment to stalking and shooting to the latest weapons - all his secrets are here!
    "You know that annoying shit down the road who doesn't believe in the death penalty? Well...."

The Tactical Marksman
    Quality marksmanship is well within your sights. Written by a former SWAT officer, this book covers the latest weapons and ammo and offers keen insight on how best to use them.
    "If only I'd had this book when I was coming down from Mount Sinai!" - Charlton Heston

Now, I don't think all Americans are survivalist maniacs, but as a non-American, reading this stuff gives me considerable pause when considering visiting the US. It's an unsettling thought that anyone you piss off just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time may be packing heat in the glove-compartment.

It also goes a long way to explaining the views of the American military that foreigners have. I watched The Tailor of Panama yesterday. One of the characters is a stereotypical American general, who is just itching to start blasting Panama into smithereens. The light of evangelical mom and apple pie glints maniacally in his eyes as he contemplates taking back the canal.

It's a stereotype, but stuff like the above goes a long way to explaining how that stereotype arose.

Any comments?
    Is this stuff completely mis-representative of the average American mindset? Am I a pinko?

Expatbrit

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Well Brit, you have received the standard American idea of capitalism. Like many others, they are set up to make money, and books on war seem to sell real well. Most of the books aren't worth reading, though, unless you like revisionist history and sloppy novels. Few are written by those who actually fought in the wars. Those of us who have tasted war seem to have a different outlook and don't find it so grand and glorious.

I get offers from the same group a few times a month and just throw them away. Most Americans are peace loving and not all that different from others around the world. Of the majority of gun owners in this country, I would have to say their guns sit and rust in a closet.

If you really wish to read a good novel based on an actual account of Vietnam, though, I recommend Red Bird Down by Bruce E. Carlson. It is available through Amazon.com and although a bit lengthy, shows the Vietnam perspective from a helicopter pilots point of view. No glorification or excessive hype, just how we became frustrated at the handling of it.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit