Bertrand Russell Quote

by mavie 4 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Right on Bert.

As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think that I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because, when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods. —Bertrand Russell, Collected Papers, vol. 11, p. 91
  • whereami
    whereami

Here's another good one:

"It is true that he modern Christian is less robust, but that is not thanks to Christianity; it is thanks to the generations of freethinkers, who, from the Renaissance to the present day, have made Christians ashamed of many of their traditional beliefs."

-by Russell, Bertrand

• behemot
    behemot

Here my favourite Russell's quote:

I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I should't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine. - Bertrand Russell

• behemot
    behemot

Oh, forgot another nice one:

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones. " - Bertrand Russell

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I've always loved most of Russell's stuff, even if I don't agree with all of it of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit