Court ruling exposes human rights violations in Bulgaria

by Yan Bibiyan 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

For Immediate Release
    November 18, 2010

Court ruling exposes human rights violations in Bulgaria

VELIKO TARNOVO, Bulgaria—Albena Ganeva, a member of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the city of Veliko Tarnovo, has been vindicated by the courts after being subjected to slanderous accusations by her brother, Miroslav Ganev, a doctor of medicine. Ganev claimed that his sister was psychologically unstable as a result of her religious affiliation, and he claimed that she planned to donate her apartment to the religious community.

On November 16, 2010, the decision of the Supreme Court of Cassation of October 21, 2010, was received. It upholds the decision of the lower court. The Court rejected the accusation when it stated that the religious affiliation of any person cannot be used as the grounds for certifying someone mentally insane, particularly when that person is a member of an officially recognized religion.

This decision of the Supreme Court is an important step in protecting the human rights, including the personal religious beliefs, of all. The ruling is in full harmony with Article 14 of the European Convention on Human Rights and Article 4 of the Bulgarian Law against Discrimination. In paragraph 1 the latter states: “Any direct or indirect discrimination based on sex, race, nationality, ethnic background, DNA data, citizenship, descent, religion or faith, is forbidden.”

Worldwide there are some 18 million Jehovah’s Witnesses and their associates who peacefully meet together for worship. There are about two million Jehovah’s Witnesses in Europe, where they are legally registered in all countries of the European Union. In Bulgaria nearly 4,000 attended the Witnesses’ annual commemoration of the Lord’s Supper in March of this year.

Contacts:
    in Europe: European Association of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses Telephone +32 2 782 0015
    in USA: Office of Public Information Telephone +1 718 560 5600
    in Bulgaria: Hristo Nikolov--Office of Public Information Telephone +359 879 001 845

Last updated 18 November 2010 19:58:22 GMT

Copyright © 2010 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. All rights reserved.

Source: http://www.jw-media.org/bgr/20101118.htm

Let me put my 2 cents in here.

...being subjected to slanderous accusations by her brother, Miroslav Ganev, a doctor of medicine. Ganev claimed that his sister was psychologically unstable as a result of her religious affiliation, and he claimed that she planned to donate her apartment to the religious community.

First off, the brother has every right to be concerned about his sister's mental health. In Bulgaria, the principal residence is often inherited from the parents and passed onto the children and is the only asset people have. So, YEAH, I'd be up in arms too if my brainwashed sister was about to give it away to a multibillion dollar corp.

Second, the justice system in Bulgaria is notoriously ridiculously corrupt. Even criminal cases have been blatantly decided unfairly with the apparent help of green handshake. I would bet the farm that the "legal bills" (ahem ...bribes) were covered by the WTBS.

This decision of the Supreme Court is an important step in protecting the human rights, including the personal religious beliefs, of all. The ruling is in full harmony with Article 14 of the European Convention on Human Rights and Article 4 of the Bulgarian Law against Discrimination.

Jeez, no mention of the deal the WTBS struck with the Bulgarian government in the 1990's re the blood doctrine....I guess this particular one isn't that relevant or even convenient to mention since we are talking about human rights here...And while we are on the topic of human rights, where is the right of avery individual to love and to be loved by family and friends, regardless of "... sex, race, nationality, ethnic background, DNA data, citizenship, descent, religion or faith". After all this is what the same article of the Law against Discrimination cited above states, right?

See how a typical family/estate dispute is spun to the tune of "Human Rights Violations"? Distasteful, disgusting, plain wrong or borderline criminal, you tell me!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan
    Worldwide there are some 18 million Jehovah’s Witnesses and their associates...

This also caught my eye from the text above.

Who exactly are the "associates"?

Maybe "studies", maybe Unbelieving family members, maybe lawyers and accountants?

In any event, do you see about three times more Non-witnesses than witnesses at any given time at the KH? If not, the 18 million number above is bogus...

Does someone know what "associates" are?

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

They get that number from the peak attendance from the Memorial each year. Officially there are only just over 7 million JWs. The rest are anyone that happened to be suckered into attending the memorial.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

So then 2/3 of the JW's "associates" are infact "bad association" by the JW's own standards. Some associates to brag about....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit