Building Momentum

by chickpea 2 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

If I were to count the time when I was “fading”, although at the time I had never heard of that concept nor was I determined to never go back to the KH, then it has been about 4 years since I stopped doing the typical things a JW stays busy with….

Mostly, I think I was thinking about this because of the concerns from all the newer members, wondering where and how to fill their lives post-WTS.

It has taken a while, but I am finally getting integrated into real life, about 4 months out from an Associate of Applied Science degree (trying to hold onto a 3.98 GPA!), a board member for the last year with a local chapter of a national advocacy group, a volunteer at the local museum/cultural center, about to become a volunteer with the local community theater, and a few other things that are opportunities to meet and work with people who don’t waste their lives in the manner of a typical JW. I belong to two funding projects, one that makes microloans to third world entrepreneurs and another that drills wells in villages in sub-saharan Africa….

The more I become involved with, the more alive I feel, the more exciting life becomes, the more contacts I make, the more the more the more!!! It really is a building momentum where more and more opportunities are arising, including making contacts with people who might prove to be beneficial to my eventual business enterprise!

It takes a while to get your feet back under you when first separating from the institution that planned your life for you from cradle to grave…. Make a few moves gradually and see what seems like a good fit, get used to how it feels to be unassimilated… Start something, somewhere…. I have no doubts the momentum will build

Read this today in the business course text book…. “a year from now, you will be wishing you started today”

Good luck with building momentum!

• scary21
    scary21

Sounds like you

have a full and busy life. Your doing some great things. Good for you!! I got a little tired reading your post,I need a nap ! LOL LOL LOL

It would take me 5-10 yrs to do all that

out of control

• chickpea
    chickpea

I got a little tired reading your post, I need a nap !

what you eventually come to realize is that, unlike the obligatory "service" and meetings and all the
    other busy work generated by the b0rg, which wears you out and guilts you into the depths of
    misery, doing things you really feel positive about energizes you, inspires you because they are
    expansive and open further opportunities!

you start with one thing.... i started going to functions and meetings sponsored by the advocacy group
    then started volunteering to help, then got asked to sit on the board... i met people in different groups
    while working on a project and was asked to consider being a volunteer for an event, which led to meeting
    more people .... it snowballs

It would take me 5-10 yrs to do all that

5-10 years from now you will be 5-10 years older ..........whether or not you do anything!
    but.... a year from now you will wish you had started today!!!

i turn 55 next spring.... no doubt i will be the oldest student in the therapeutic massage course i am enrolled in....
    but i cannot wait to get started!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit