Why do we get TTATT and others don't?

by quest81 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It's willingness to consider that what you have been indoctrinated to believe may possibly be untrue.

IMO there is usually a trigger that beaks the normal acceptance - possibly we come across information that contradicts the WTS and isn't easy to dismiss (i.e. it's more authoritative) or we experience or witness some treatment that doesn't fit with the "loving organization" that they portray.

Whatever the trigger, it wakes you up enough that you suddenly see it all for what it is.

I think people who then do some research and learning do better than those who don't. There is less risk of doubting yourself and having fears that you may be wrong. When you know the real truth you know there is no chance whatsoever that the WTS represents any divine being and very little chance that there is even any being to represent.

It's still possibly to become angry at the past - lost years etc... but eventually you realize that being angry doesn't help anyone else and definitely hurts yourself so why do it?

Forgiveness is a powerful weapon because it makes you stronger.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

A first step is to actually allow yourself to question something and then go and seek the real honest answer not the pat, glib, manipulated spin you normally swallow, ..., the next step to exiting the cult is to allow yourself to question everything.

Once you have given yourself permission to question it all then the cult has lost it's magical grip and escape becomes possible, then it becomes probable.

For me, it took a douchbag scam artist pedalling quack medicine to be made an elder despite all the noises coming from the elders that this would not happen for me to go and make the actual effort to make sure the religion of my birth was in fact true or not. That gut wrenching disappointment and anger in that pillock being made an elder put my brain in a state where i allowed myself to question, at first the basics and eventually all of it.

I'd had doubts as all do, but the internal suppression of them is strong and it seems to take an external kick to put the mind in a position to allow it to change it's way of thinking.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

truthseeker100

You and I had similar beginings

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

D4G, I totally agree that the majority of manipulators don't read some book on How to Manipulate and Control Others, but that doesn't mean that some people do not.

The WTBTS has published many articles on the subject proving that they have at some time given conscious thought to the subject. (See for example the series of articles on the subject of Propaganda in the June 2000 Awake! magazine).

Again, CD theory explains why many people continue to hold on to beliefs that are demonstrably wrong.

There are a large number of manipulative techniques which do not require disconfirming evidence and a corresponding "doubling down" on the part of the person being manipulated.

For example, Fear, Obligation and Guilt are classic ways that manipulators seek to control others. The person being controlled may or may not rationalize their involvement and participation. Cognitive dissonance is not necessary nor is it always involved in the process.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A person needs to give themselves permission to look at things from the outside in, rather than the inside out.

Yes, once we allow ourselves the privilege of using critical thinking skills, then everything we thought was TRUTH can be questioned with facts....

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

What Simon said. I would add that the trigger has to be something very important to the person. Something that actually matters to them personally.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

For me there was a time TTATT wouldn't faze me a bit. I was conditioned to cast aside TTATT as twisted teachings of demons to clusterflup your spiritual mind.

You could have told me pedo's were prevalent and getting away with abuse and I would have said wait on the Big J. You could have expressed your frustration that the overlapping generations teaching was unscriptural and illogical and I would simply say you gotta wait on the Big J. You could tell me that the Org. joined the U.N. as an NGO for a decade and I would have (with relish) said it's theocratic warfare.(keep your friends close and your enemies closer). You could tell me that there is absolutely nada archeological evidence to support 607 B.C.E and i would have said just wait, something will no doubt be uncovered to support it by archeologists any day now.

Up until a few months ago, I could easily provide an excuse/ answer to anything that challenged the org., simply because we are trained from the beginning to trigger defense mechanisms in our mind that stop us from thinking deeply and honestly about troubling information we receive. Without thinking, we use patented responses like:

You are an apostate! That is apostate material!

Take it up with God in prayer.

Wait on the Big J.

We are a perfect organization run by imperfect men so the light keeps getting brighter and brighter.

What are your motives for looking at that information?

(Without considering the info) Where did you get that information? etc.

What I didn't have a defense for was seeing the mental anguish, the sad faces of those who came to meetings month after month, year after year who were trying to get reinstated while being coldly shunned by everyone in the congregation. There has always been a constant stream over the past 12 years of df'd ones (in every cong i have been in) trying to come back. They sat in the back in assigned seats being treated like trash. One would finally be reinstated, but another would come along Then the next one would go through it, and the next...

Having never been df'd or publicly reproved myself, I could never relate to or rationalize Jesus' teachings of love. mercy and forgiveness with the treatment of those who were trying to get reinstated. Watching the anguish of these people year after year was like a thousand paper cuts that finally I couldn't bear anymore.

Emotion, not logic, is the core of faith. Yet, often times it is emotion rather than logic that when let loose it becomes the trigger that destroys our indoctrination.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think it comes down to being intellectually honest with yourself.

I am not sure my trigger was something specific. Just the mounds of 'this shit don't add up' in my head.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

One can add to the list the Watchtower's self glorification.

It wasn't hypocrisy or doctrine or date setting that got me out. It was hearing the constant praise of the Watchtower elevating themselves to God's level. Actually replacing God.

I remember my first doubt starting when one of the elders mentioned an elderly lady who said that every Watchtower that she opened was like receiving a letter from Jehovah.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

You have to be willing to think for yourself and then trust your conclusions.

It's no coincidence that being an "independent thinker" is a big Watchtower sin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit