Why do we get TTATT and others don't?

by quest81 45 Replies latest jw friends

• quest81
    quest81

I have thought about how TTATT came full circle for me.

How the connecting the dots was simple and just made sense,

How silos of information are literally at our fingertips today.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

This is a great question without an easy or clear answer.

I see you're relatively new on this forum, but probably by know you've noticed that there is no clear pattern to or common denominator about those of us that "woke up" and saw this religion for the cult that it is.

• Intelligence is not necessarily the factor. There are some pretty smart people that have been in the religion all of their life, and there are others that aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer but can clearly see the corruption and lies of WT leadership
    • Being born-in or not makes little difference
    • Age is irrelevant
    • So is gender
    • Education helps, but not always

-

When you examine what it was that specifically got a person to start doubting and/or questioning, you find that there are many reasons and they are not the same for everyone.

I started doubting and questioning because of the lack of academic scholarship of the WT publications, but it was when I discovered about the UN/NGO scandal that it all began unraveling for me. Yet I tried to tell my then-wife (now-ex) about it and she literally covered her ears.

For others its:

• Pedophiles in the congregation and the WT coverup
    • The blood issue
    • 607 BCE
    • Shunning
    • Ever changing doctrines
    • Hypocrisy of the elders/CO/GB
    • The fake attitude of "the friends" in the congregation
    • WT dishonesty about, well you name it!

-

The list is long.

It will be interesting to see what others contribute to your thread!

Oubliette

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Religion is based on emotion not reason

for me I got myself mentally out before really delving into sites like this. Even though I didn't have the where with all to get out within the last 5 years, I have always doubted the bible, always been confused, and never had strong faith. Just didn't want to die at Armageddon or lose my family because I couldn't get it like the rest.

Different people will never question it no matter what, even if they had video of TM3 eating golden retriever puppies. And for others like myself it will never feel right, and we just need to snap ourselves out of the FOG to wake up fully.

• millie210
    millie210

Thank you Obliette for saying intelligence isnt a factor. That makes me feel a little better.

I say "a little" because I feel very dumb (smacks forehead here) about not waking up until something was done to me personally by corrupt elders.

Only then did I go looking and in my search for answers I found the real truth about the fakely called "truth".

I have a lot of admiration for people who saw through things on an intellectual level. Would I ever have? I dont know.

I do think however that it is the end result that matters, not how we got here!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Back when I first found this Forum, I went back and looked at many old Threads, quite a number debated this very question, and even more the question of how we could get JW's to see and understand TTATT.

The answers as to what started people on the road to learning TTATT were as many and varied as the respondents.

The answer as to how to get JW's to"wake up" has never really been forthcoming, as the consensus is that every JW will need a different trigger. The best advice as to this is to find out what troubles the JW about the Org. and then give them any information they will take from you on that subject.

Many choose to be ignorant, and choose to stay in the JW Org, and refuse TTATT however you present it.

• done4good
    done4good

Cognitive dissonance. If you understand how this works, (thoroughly), you understand:

1. What "mind control" really is, (or more importantly, why it happens).

2. Why the GB can make things up and still be "true believers".

3. Why even very intelligent JWs cannot "see" what we see.

4. Why you once believed.

d4g

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    For me it was the book of genisuses. What a pile of crap! I prefered the scientific methods of understanding where I came from. Exiting this cult cost me my familly, but I have a new familly now all based in reality.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cognitive dissonance (CD) and mind-control/manipulation are two different things.

CD theory explains why many people continue to hold on to beliefs that are demonstrably wrong.

It does not account very well for why other people call "bullshit" in the same situation.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

As was pretty much said above, I firmly believe many don't WANT to see ttat. If they don't want it they won't get it.

You have to realize that these people have many reasons to want the lie. My mother has lost loved ones very dear to her, and she believes she'll see them again. In her mind if you take the so called "truth" away that hope goes with it. The question, "what if I'll never see them again?" for her would be extremely distressing, perhaps even damaging.

• done4good
    done4good

Yes, they are two different things.

However, you cannot understand how mind control works without understanding how an individual responds to such manipulation. I know some here may disagree, (they may like to "believe" that there some book on mind control people study to learn how to do it or something), however that is not how mind control works.

Mind control is largely a product of social evolution gone wrong. Tactics are tried, the ones that work, stick, and are replicated over and over. The reason why these tactics work, is due to how the human brain deals with dissonance. If someone is taught there will be consequences for not "believing" in some manner, (such as shunning, loss of family, friends, death, etc.), and they are also provided with some positive reasons for belief, (paradise earth, seeing dead loved ones again, etc.), they have strong motivation for believing. Evidence to the contrary will prove very uncomfortable to them, and actually give them stronger resolve to believe, since now they also have a strong desire to overcome the mental discomfort.This is where CD comes into play, and plays a significant role in the replication of this particularly nasty social meme.

When this is replicated 8 million times over 140 years, there is a very powerful social meme at work, in aggregate.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit