If you're a worldly and you are informed about the Watchtower

by dgp 7 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

If I, as a non-witness, tried to tell my friends and family about what I have learned on this site and elsewhere about the Watchtower, some would listen for a while, but the vast majority of them, if not all, would have trouble understanding why I should become and remain interested in such a subject at all. Many would tell me that everyone knows witnesses are crazy anyways, and that I surely could use my time on more productive endeavors.

It's very sad, but many people would tell me that witnesses are witnesses because they want to. That they are happy as such or they would have left the religion long ago. People would tell me that the fact that many witnesses have left is proof that anyone can leave anytime, if they really want to.

If I told a friend that a life devoted to the Watchtower is a wasted life, some, particularly the know-it-alls, would bring back examples of lives that were lost in similar ways during the Middle Ages, and would find some pseudostudy on how cults do provide some "services" to their members. Some would get philosophical and claim that "such is life". Women lived like that in the Middle Ages. Catholics were not better a while ago. Et cetera.

Some others would say that I should not mind other people's business and therefore should not worry about anybody else's religion.

Which is a sad thing, because it illustrates to what extent the world ignores what happens in the Watchtower, and the kind of obstacles that some former Witnesses might find when speaking out. Most people in the outside wouldn't spend much time posting on a site like this. It makes it all the more difficult for former witnesses to make others sufficiently aware of what happens to the point that the Watchtower would need to give in to the pressure.

I trust the day will come when people like me won't be such a minuscule minority. I want to think that many of us would make a difference, instead of feeling so powerless because I alone can't do anything.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

People in general don't understand cults. They don't get that there is no full disclosure before joining and no freedom to leave without serious consequences. If they do realize that, then they assume that person was weak or stupid for joining. As an American, I find it appalling that groups like these are able to take away our basic rights and still exist. But there's no easy way to fix that or even get people to really care about it.

I do think more exposure and more voices will definitely help. So thanks for adding yours!

• garyneal
    garyneal

I recall reading in Steve Hassan's book about an attempt he made to expose the cults. I believe it was Senator Dole who was aiding him in this endeavor. But the expose was blocked by the cults themselves as they cited infingement on freedom of religion rights, etc..

Sadly, there is a great deal of misinformation on cults and given how some religions themselves can become rather 'culty' some people just view all religious beliefs to be cults. There is indeed a fine line between religion and cult.

Of all the family members I express my concerns about our situation with, I have the greatest difficulty with my atheist brother for the simple fact that he just takes the position that people should live and let live.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus
    Many would tell me that everyone knows witnesses are crazy anyways, and that I surely could use my time on more productive endeavors

That's what I've found. People cannot understand why I bothered to try to understand my ex-SIL and her religion.

We know the smug know-it-all arrogance of the JWs who come to the door. Perhaps this labelling, and the "it could never happen to me" attitude is the same arrogance in us wordlies.

Retro

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yes, it is unusual for a non-JW ("worldly person") to show this much interest. Although I know in your case, dpg, it was because you had an interest in a JW so you wanted to get to know more about her religion, in an attempt to understand her more.

If anything, see it as a learning experience. Maybe this information will become useful for another reason sometime in the future?

And if anything, at least you know you will never be trapped by this or any other cult.

• wobble
    wobble

The more we have people like you dear dgp, informed and speaking out, yet cannot be accused of having an "axe to grind", the more the public will absorb the thought that the WT is a nasty little cult.

Your words and thoughts are of great value,an honest -hearted lurker here, at present still in the religion, must be made to think that if someone like yourself sees major problems with the religion, they need to take along hard look at it themselves.

Thanks for your input.

• dgp
    dgp

Thanks to everyone who made a contribution.

Yes, Broken, that was my reason. She'll probably die where she is. It was difficult, but I had to learn that I couldn't help her. I wish the day will come when I will help someone else.

• LV101
    LV101

dgp --- I feel the same as you about feeling powerless but HACKERS went after scientology and some are of the opinion that it was a devastating blow to that cult --- I DUNNO the facts.

there's some very intelligent ex-witnesses out there and maybe we can put our faith in them to get the truth to witnesses.

LV101

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit